Given up on reviews!

Tim26
Level 5
Leicester, United Kingdom

Given up on reviews!

Just want to vent a little - and see if any other hosts are feeling the same?

I used to think that if I did a good job, guests would leave a good review and vice versa.  However in my aim for superhost status, I've been really watching star ratings and despite not getting any bad written reviews, my star ratings are all over the place!

Things like 3 stars for accuracy (my listing really couldnt be much longer without being issued as a printed and bound version!) and 4 for location (the apartment didn't move between the guest choosing it and staying in it!) are bizarre - and have pretty much ruined my chances for superhost.

So - I'm considering not reviewing any guests now unless I wouldn't host them again.  What do I have to gain by reviewing otherwise?  It's frustrating leaving a blind review saying the guest couldn't have been better (overlooking a couple of messy bits in the apartment that would be petty for me to mention) only for them to then leave me poor star ratings for much more petty things.

Does anyone else feel this way?!

4 Replies 4
Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

I can feel and empathise with your frustration.  The star ratings really stink IMHO.  

All I would say is that other hosts would really appreciate your reviews.  Personally when I see someone has stayed in a place and not gotten a review, I tend to assume a negative reason for that and make judgements based on it. Although in your case, it would simply be to save yourself the hassle, it does send a negative message about a guest which wouldn't be the case in your situation.  

Just a thought. I get frustrated too. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Tim26
Level 5
Leicester, United Kingdom

Thanks @Tracy0!

Much to underline my issues, treat yourself to a look at my latest review!  He was a good reason why one should read in to "red flags" before accepting bookings!!

Clare19
Level 2
Edenvale, South Africa

I always say nice things about my guests. But I agree with you in a way. I have had frustrations with other platforms and websites not Airbnb. Perhaps they will take note and change the review structure. I think its important for your business to put that review out there. You can say truthful bits, in the part that wont be seen by the guest... lol, only by other hosts, which is important. It is important to put something there. 

Its when you have to throw away your sheets and towels.... lol that things are serious! In a bad way.  One can never be sure of human reactions to location or other things. Perhaps change your location descrition,  or neighbourhood description, so people are getting the true picture, and have no excuse when commenting negatively. We also should be able to comment back on the guests negative comments, in a positive way, so our businesses are not damaged! 

Keep on going. 

I feel your pain, I really do. I have stopped worrying about SH status. We are busy enough and I am not going to try any harder to reach a standard that is pretty much unreachable.

What really upsets me too is when I get condescending emails from Airbnb stating I have not received all 5 stars in all areas and then when I go to check, I find that I have been given 4 stars. If I were consistently receiving 2 star ratings then sure, there is cause for concern but 4 stars? Honestly, try not to focus too much on it. We can't change an imperfect system and guests tend to expect the Hilton even when paying hostel prices