Full disclosure

Full disclosure

We are fairly new to Airbnb and it has been a rousing success. We have a one bedroom "mother-in-law" with separate entrance. Recently, we had guests with small children. The problem is..., our information clearly states the space will accommodate 2 adults. These two adults reserved our space stating there were two adults in their party and they show up with 2 small children (approx. 3 yrs old and 7 months old) in tow. Our home is on a hillside. The upper and lower decks overlook a 20 to 10 ft drop off. The apartment was not child proof. In fact, a large piece of exercise equipment was shown in the pictures when they reserved the space! Should I be concerned about safety? Liability? How do other Airbnb hosts handle a situation of this sort when you don't receive full disclosure?

3 Replies 3
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Firstly I would list your property as not child friendly. Secondly if someone turned up with 2 extra bodies (kids or otherwise) I would refuse them and contact AirBnb

@Franc-and-Marcia0,

Unfortunately you suffer the effects of new airbnb babies policy (see the post) which stated "Infants and pets don't count toward the number of guests or increase the cost of booking". The act that babies under 3 are no more counted on bookings make it possible for a couple with 2 child under 3 to book any listing with maximum capacity for 2 people.

Pet.jpg

It happens to me last week and I had to fight to have this booking cancelled without fees by airbnb.

Let us know what will happen.

@Anonymous, @Franc-and-Marcia0@David-and-Fiona0 Wow, this is still going on?  I thought Airbnb was going to rescind this policy.  Just to protect myself against small children, which I do not accept, I require all guests to confirm before I accept a reservation request that they have read my House Rules (no small children & no pets) and agree to them.  Have a pending reservation request that the guest still hasn't answered....maybe because they're bringing children?  I replied within 15 minutes of getting the request and now 15 hours later have not heard back.  Just sent a second message telling them I will have to decline if I don't hear back.