Foreign guest asks for my personal info for visa application

Rocio25
Level 1
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Foreign guest asks for my personal info for visa application

Hi. An upcoming guest just asked for my personal information, phone number, address and email to use on her visa application.

I don't know what to do and if this would make me liable or responsible

over this person during their stay in this country.

23 Replies 23
Maya29
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Never give it to them! You have a right to protect your personal information and your home. You don't have to accept every booking. 

@Rocio25   If they make a reservation they will be sent that information from Airbnb as contact info. You can tell them that is how it works. Don't send them anything.

Not true. Only partial address is revealed at the time of reservation. Full address is sent only a day or two before travel date. Visa has to be arranged well before that.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Rocio25,

If they have a confirmed booking with you then they will already have your phone number.

As they are asking for your phone number then I assume that they have not yet booked so do not give them any details.

Your phone number and address are revealed by Airbnb to a guest only when a booking is confirmed. This is a security measure designed to protect the host.

Do not trust a guest who is trying to bypass this system. I would decline this guest.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

None of that is needed for a visa application so either ignorance or a scam.

David

@David126    For an ESTA you do need the name of person or hotel and the address and information of where you are staying. It is for travelers from Visa Waiver Program countries -  but most people do refer to it as a visa.

It is optional and I doubt very much if this question has anything to do with the VWP. ESTA would be valid for 2 years and multiple entities so a bit illogical. But they still ask if you are a member of the Nazi part so go figure.

I think it also asks for your flight information, not logical to book a flight without knowing if you can travel.

Assuming we are talking about a B the Consulates specifically says not to make travel arrangements without an approved visa.

David
Dasatha0
Level 1
Slough, United Kingdom

This isn't a scam. some countries the visa application requests the name of the hotel (in this case AirBnB - [ADDRESS] contact number of the hotel and email address. These are all legitimate questions on visa applications. 

Not a scam. I hold an Ethiopian passport but reside in the US, believe me this info is required of all/many of the countries I visit. 

Damola7
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

It actually is. For a visa to Spain, they ask for  address, email and phone number . Not a scam 

Not true. Visa applications ask for full address of hotel you are staying at.

Really? I am a host in the USA and I am traveling to Ghana for the first time. They ask for host info on the application 

I had a wonderful women stay with me a couple of months ago from the Czech republic.  She also needed a little information for an application for entry into the US.   The wanted the full names and address of the people she would be staying with.  I had no problems.  

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

For an accepted (i.e paid) booking I would have no problem with providing the address info for a visa application.