Expired request negatively impact search standard?

Answered!
Billy12
Level 1
New York, NY

Expired request negatively impact search standard?

I'm a host and had a guests reservation request expire because we were still ironing out somethings that took longer than 24 hours. I received an automated email from Airbnb stating something like "if you consistently don’t respond within 24 hours your listing’s search placement may be negatively impacted and we may temporarily turn off your listing."

As mentioned, the prospective guest and I were exchanging messages to iron out some details, which took longer than the 24 hrs. Not accepting or declining within that time would negatively impact my search standing? So if the details aren't ironed out within he 24 hours, it's better to decline the request? Please advise.

Thanks,
Billy
1 Best Answer
Patrick-And-Katja0
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Billy, I would say it's better to decline after telling the prospective guest that you have to do so to protect your listing. You can still email back and forth with them after you decline and once everything is agreed upon, they can request again. This will prevent you from getting dinged for not approving in 24 hrs.
Best
Katja

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Patrick-And-Katja0
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Billy, I would say it's better to decline after telling the prospective guest that you have to do so to protect your listing. You can still email back and forth with them after you decline and once everything is agreed upon, they can request again. This will prevent you from getting dinged for not approving in 24 hrs.
Best
Katja
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

In addition to messaging your potential guest that you have to decline within 24 hours to keep up with your Airbnb requirements and to invite them to send a new request after all questions have been answered, you may also want to send them a special offer or a pre approval, once you are satisfied and ready to host this person. this might do the trick to not lose them, as they only hve to click "accept", and it's all done. 

Diane98
Level 1
Durham, NY

The same thing just happened to me, and now I'm concerned that it will negatively impact my listing. How do we refute that with airbnb?

Taras0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

That is funny, I just got off the phone with Airbnb and they insist that declining will result in being penalized, and lose your search engine spot. They said expired requests do not hurt your response time as long as you email them back.

Myself, I do not like being punished by Airbnb, because I deny to host somebody. For many people these are our homes, and I get requests from too many people with nothing more than an email address and a phone number. I should think that if I feel uncertain about the person requesting, I should not be penalized for refusing their request.

I accept all requests from people who have reviews, and if they do not have that, then I ask that they have Gov ID verified, adn try to screen who they are in an email. If something happens, how do I call the cops and say, well here is his handle and email address? They would probably laugh at me.

Taras

It depends on what you consider "expired requests" ...

- If the guest makes a booking inquiry (they just send a message) then as long as you reply within 24 hours you have nothing to worry about. IMHO it appears if you are able to send an offer within 24 hours, that helps your listing's search placement a lot more than if you send the offer after MORE THAN 24 hours. Failing to send an offer when the guests only makes an inquiry doesn't result in any penalties ... however there is a new metric where Airbnb measures guest views to bookings, and I suspect guest inquiries to bookings. So any action on your part to offer the guest a booking within 24 hours should be a good thing 🙂

- If the guest makes a booking request, you need to accept or decline the booking request within 24 hours. Merely replying to the guest is not enough. There are all sorts of penalties if you fail to do this, beginning with lower search placement, then things like ineligibility (or losing) Super Host status, mandatory blocking of the dates in your listing, etc. If you must decline, do your best to send an alternate offer for the listing, or for an alternate listing. Any action on your part to offer the guest a booking within 24 hours should be a good thing 🙂

- If the guest makes an Instant Booking ... I'm not as fmiliar with this because Airbnb and our timeshare rentals are not very compatible with the rules associated with IB. For the most part, the rules are the same though. Respond within  24 hours and while you are allowed a limited number of cancellations ... cancel/decline to much and you pay $ penalties, have blocked dates, lose superhost, etc. 

Francesca359
Level 2
Sololá Department, Guatemala

Putting a time limit of 24 hours on accepting or declining an enquiry is totally rediculous. AirBnB already had a Book Instantly button that hosts can choose to use. Though who choses this I have no idea as we are NOT hotels and therefore do not want to be accepting people into our homes without first vetting them, and also answering any questions they may have. 

Why is AirBnb not offering us, as hosts, as much time as we need to answer questions, deal with how many adults there are, and if there are children under a certain age so they aren't charged, or the internet goes down - VERY common in developing countries where we are based...and in many developed countries too.

I had a long chat with airBnB today, very helpful, in helping me to resucitate a booking that had Expired because the 24 hour limit had been reached before we had time to finish answering questions and setting what was the correct price for this group. 

AirBnB should be listening to us and NOT their marketing people who simply want to make more money and turn AirBnB into a hotel booking site....as it is 100s, probably 1000s of hotels already have their rooms on AirBnB!?

Please AIRBNB LISTEN to you clients!? 

Some of your systems STINK! I have a 4.9 star rating and yet AirBnB is telling me that if I don't improve my standing with them they may cancel my account???? They are turning into bullies! 

They created a fantastic website and are now turning greedy! You already have the niche...don't mess it up by pretending to be what you are not, please!!?? We like you as your were!

@Francesca359 Why would they cancel your acct if you have 4.9 stars? Did they give you a reason?

Francesca359
Level 2
Sololá Department, Guatemala

Totally rediculous I know, from AirBnB under Hosting Summary:

Hosting summary
You’re at risk
Your account could be suspended if you don’t focus on improving to meet Airbnb hosting standards.   
Overall rating
Total reviews
5-star reviews

I would love to know why they threaten me, with this kind of a rating!? 

No reason!!! It is their marketing team pushing us to sell more for them!? Money money money!!! Who gives a **** about service...to us as hosts or to those making bookings!?

There is no one to talk to to ask why I am being threatened?!

Any one else have any ideas?!

@Francesca359 Have you tried to email Airbnb about it? Since it's so difficult to talk to them on the phone.