ESA pet fees

Elizabeth726
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

ESA pet fees

Can you charge just one guest a pet fee or deposit? I don't have it marked to collect deposits or pet fee because I clearly have written no pets. However, now I have someone that has an ESA dog and I feel like I can't deny them because of ADA laws. However, I would like to charge them an extra fee. Is it possible to just charge one guest a fee?

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

No, it's not possible on Airbnb, @Elizabeth726, in fact it's against the rules.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Elizabeth726
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

Thank you!

Just so you know, ESA are not covered by ADA.  ESA are only covered on airlines  (and that is changing as access is more and more abused by scammers and fakers), fair housing and Airbnb.  Airbnb has aligned itself with the (previous) policies of the airlines and the current Fair Housing Act (which covers residences, not hotels.)

If your guests enter your dwelling (shared space) you do not have to accommodate ESA or service dogs.  However you should accommodate service dogs unless that would harm you, your pets or your family.  You should not charge any fees for service dogs.  The handler must pay for any damages the dog causes and must keep the dog with them at all times.

If you don't want ESA in your unit, shared or otherwise, you do not have to allow them by ADA laws, however your listing may be penalized by Airbnb if the guest complains.  That is Airbnb's own policy, not a law.  I personally think that they should not require hosts to allow ESA, but that's just my opinion.  We allow dogs so no one has to lie to us in order to bring their pet.