Does it feel like 'work' yet?

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Does it feel like 'work' yet?

Due to the astonishing profits from our first listing, we recenly opened a second listing. And I'm beginning to notice something: with two listings, and therefore more guests to check in and out, answer questions, etc, AirBnB begins to resemble 'work'.  

With one listing it really feels like a hobby: making a place nice and once or twice a week checking in some guests.  With two listings though, there are days that two groups of guests are checking out and two other groups are checking in. And when departure times are past check-out time, or arrival times before check-in time, and needing time to clean in between, that's now a pretty complex day of juggling people around, keeping luggage for arriving/departing guests until the place is ready, etc. 

Of course that's just fine because the income is nothing short of insane, but I am noticing that it feels like work more often. It's funny how that works. 🙂   Does anyone else feel the same?    We were thinking of having one more place, but then almost every day would involve checking people in or out, getting closer to a near full time job.

Again I'm not complaining and I think it's worth persuing, but that does mean finding people to assist: with cleaning, with picking up guests and checking them in, with havign a handyman on easy call to quickly help out if something breaks, etc. 

How to you see AirBnB?  Hobby and some easy extra pocket money, or actual work?  Has anyone quit their day job to do AirBnB as their main source of income?

7 Replies 7
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I think this just a mindset thing. It will only feel like work if you let it. In my case I like to keep busy and I love the interaction. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You are running a business - of course it is work. If you don't have other paid employment managing two listing close together shouldn't be too arduous .

however as you state you are making 'insane amounts of money'  just pay someone to d

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry my laptop died.

The end of the sentence should have read....just pay someone to do the parts that you don't enjoy/don't have time for.

Wanting to run three BNB's is very much a business. You need to have the right systems in place. You don't need to book people back to back and you can co-ordinate your listings to have turnarounds on different days.

If you want to act as a commercial operator rather than someone sharing their home or letting out a second home, then you need to have the back up systems and staff in place to enable you to do this and ensure you continue to provide high levels to service for your guest.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Exactly as @Helen3 says. I'm surprised you don't seem to have a night between guests checking out and new ones arriving. But then that would impact the insane income...

But then seems like ya can't have it all!

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Well done @Jiw0 for making your listing such a success!

Certainly Airbnb is work, but it's a pleasant sort of work.  Compared with some jobs I have had, the work is easy (housework, emails), it's part-time, there are no major decisions or responsibilities, I work from home, I am in control of my business and the guests are happy holiday-makers who are a pleasure to meet.  If my calendar starts to get a bit full, I block off days or longer breaks.

As @Andrea9 and @Helen3 say, buy your way out of stress by employing other people and having breaks between guests and of course buy plenty of bed linen and towels!

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

I agree with all the above thank you @Julia66 @Jiw0 @Helen3 @Andrea9 @David-and-Fiona0

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

All the power to you, @Jiw0

But am I the only one that wonders how you can just "add" another listing to your profile?! I have enough trouble paying all the bills for our place as it is, so no idea how I would manage getting a second one... Maybe subletting is a lot easier in Thailand?! And always feel a bit sad that the whole idea of sharing your home is out the window once people figure out they can rake in more money!

Okay, rant over 😉 I just have to accept that I live in a place where housing costs are through the roof! Otherwise... Just find a new job and move!