Do I pay the $100 penalty if a booking is made for one person but more than 3 others arrive

Josie8
Level 1
Borenore, Australia

Do I pay the $100 penalty if a booking is made for one person but more than 3 others arrive

8 Replies 8
Mamun0
Level 2
New York, NY

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I need more info please! Are you talking about cancelling a booking?

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Josie8

You need to contact airbnb with the problem.  Deny access rather than cancel.  Report the problem through "my reservations" - then call or twitter.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

Hi, if meeting guests and there is more than have booked, open up the ipad/ tablet/ laptop/computer and go to your reservations, request an alteration on the relevant booking, adjust the numbers. The tariff will adjust up, accordingly. Then get your guests to open up their own airbnb site and accept the alteration you sent through. Of course you can request them to go online and send the request in the same way. Cancellations are not the only option. 

Do this before granting access. If the guests don't accept the alteration, they don't get access. This can only occur if you have sufficient facilities of course, if not then the booking cannot proceed, you can assist/ supervise while your guests book an extra venue for the extra numbers. If you don't live onsite, you are more vulnerable to these events. By ensuring that you make it clear you will be present at the site for check in and during the guest stay, you will discourage this type of event. Hope this helps. Best regards. Christine.

@Christine1 This is absolutely the way to go. I had this happen to me once during the August 2017 Eclipse (I'm in Oregon) - 5 extra people (2 parents, 2 children, and an infant) and a dog showed up to 'visit' my registered guests and then it seemed they suddenly had no place to stay and 'everything is booked' (Translation: My registered guests were basically trying to sneak them in, but I live on the property so it didn't work). So this created a party of 10 instead of 4 and I usually only allow 7 people, max, 5 people ideally and I do not accept animals. I was very new at hosting but managed to keep my cool. I was aware every place around Oregon was literally sold out and the roads were blocked from traffic so I quoted them a nightly rate that made me feel I was being compensated for my troubles, and the extra cleaning and linens, which they agreed to, then helped them call Airbnb to get verified so they could be registered guests and then guided them as to how to pay me via Airbnb. Then I told them all to have a good time. Now I make it clear in my House Rules that no unregistered guests are allowed, which should be obvious, but you know how it is...

@Rebecca181 thanks Rebecca, I appreciate the validation, it's especially nice to have other hosts share posts about how they worked out a business-like  solution, which respects their own position without getting into demonising the guests. Some guests will be genuinly confused and make errors, while others may be trying for a self-serve discount. But we can just side step that possibility and adjust their tariff with a smile.

Happy New Year 2018.

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

I had a guest reserve the house for 5 people, and when they checked in at 3:00 p.m. there were 5. So I checked them in normally. At 6 p.m. I happened to pass by the house and there were 2 extra vehicles including a huge truck, and approximately 25 people milling about, going into and coming out of the house.

@Bob140 I am in suspense - How did you handle this? Unregistered guests are not covered by the Airbnb Host Protection program. Do you have your own commercial insurance on your property?