Dispute with a host who cancelled my booking.

Taritha0
Level 1
The Hague, Netherlands

Dispute with a host who cancelled my booking.

To whom it may concern,

I have requested a booking from a host and we got into a dispute afterwards.

Here is the summary of the situation:
The host described in his profile that there shall be an additional cost added if the booking is made only for 2 days during school holidays. Prior to acceptance, he sent me a message explaining this and finished the message with "Do you agree?". Then a couple of hours later, he accepted my booking before me agreeing to it. 

I have admitted to the host that it was my fault for not reading his profile properly and that I would like to discuss with the people who will staying with me. After discussion, we agreed to not go ahead with the booking. I have requested this the host. He didn't respond. Then, I called him and this is where things escalated. I told him in the beginning that I would like to find a solution where both parties have least financial impact. He proposed that I should cancel the booking and that he said I should get personal refund from him for the same amount of money provided that I stay at his other apartments that are not registered in AirBnB and that I should just trust him. Not wanting to go along with this and after understanding the penalties he may suffer from cancelling my booking, I decided to keep the booking and pay the extra cost. 

Then he said that he would calculate the new extra cost and will get in touch. 

2 hours later, he called me to inform me that he was going to cancel the booking and that I am not welcome to his properties. He also said that he is losing money which I have offered him several times to refund (the airbnb service fee) and that I don't want to get into any dispute. Hearing my reaction, he started shouting to me and saying that he will give me bad reviews and that my apologies will not solve the issue. Then the conversation got heated between him and I and ended with him telling me that faith has been broken. I agreed and ended the call. 

Although he cancelled the booking for me, he has been sending me very agressive messages since. He threatened me with legal actions and claimed that my profile is fake. He also said that the reason he cancelled the booking is because I had been using agressive language against him on the phone- which was not true and actually was the other way round. I have flagged his profile and have provided this explanation there- however, is it enough?

Can someone please advise me on this?

Thanks in advance. 

2 Replies 2

Almost none of this is the way Airbnb works.  Go the the host's profile and flag it - in the other category indicate that he offered you another apartment outside of the Airbnb listing after you booked.  Go the messages he's sending you that are aggressive and flag them so Airbnb can be alerted.  Go to the Help Center and read about how to make a reservation and how to cancel. Since you did not read the profile in full, it was your responsiblity to cancel and be assessed the fees.  This is the penalty for not reading the terms completely. The penalty for cancelling a reservation as a host are far greater than the fee you would have been assessed by the way.  You can read about those in the help center too. That being said, it should never have escalated to this level and I am sorry you have gone through this.  No reviews can be written and nothing more can be done.  If you are getting unsolicited agressive phone calls and texts outside of the Airbnb system, contact the police.  

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Taritha0

Block his number on your mobile - that will prevent him sending you texts and calling you. Sounds like a charming host.