Credit card fraud

Katrina18
Level 1
Melbourne, Australia

Credit card fraud

Does anyone know what happens if someone pays Airbnb to stay at my house using a stolen credit card, and then sometime after staying, the real card holder makes a claim against Airbnb through their credit card company for the money back.  Would Airbnb then seek the money back from me, or would they wear the loss?  You may think that the credit card company covers the loss, but in fact, they try to recover the money from the merchant.

21 Replies 21
Theresa43
Level 1
Mount Vernon, NY

Good question; I want to know the answer.  I don't see any answers posted.  Katrina, did you ever find out what the anwer is?

Gina29
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

I have a guest right now that is using a stolen card and don't know what to do about it!

Call the police?

You can contact Airbnb  +1-855-424-7262 / 1-855-4-AIRBNB (toll-free)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gina29....How do you know this 'guest' is using a stolen credit card?

The police will not want to get involved unless their is a safety issue involved, and I doubt highly that Airbnb will want to be involved either! They will simply dither around and pass the buck around the office until the problem disappears. Report it to Airbnb but I would not expect a satisfactory resolution, but at least the report will be on file.

If you are sure that the card is stolen and have access to the card details I would contact the card company, explain your situation and ask their advice. Even if you don't know the card details but have the card holders name still contact the card provider. In most instances card providers will wear losses where innocent parties are involved!

Cheers....Rob

Actually Rob, that is not our experience with credit card fraud.  The credit card company recovered the money from us, they did not wear the cost.  I'd be interested to hear others experiences, but I don't think merchants are protected, certainly not in Australia.  Cheers, Katrina

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Katrina18.....You are probably right Katrina, I related to a problem I had where my card was stolen and, as the card holder, the bank covered costs associated with that theft....but that's the other side of the coin.

It looks very much like @Gina29 may have an issue here! If the card provider comes after Airbnb, they will certainly come after her! Protection with Airbnb appears to be extremely minimal these days!!

Cheers....Rob

I would have thought the insurance we have through Airbnb would cover this. The problem is it is so difficult to get a reply from Airbnb now if we have an issue. Discussing the problem with other hosts doesn't resolve issues that are Airbnb's responsibility.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

One way to look at it is it's stolen money - if your money was stolen you would expect to get it back from the person who ends up with it, even if they do so in good faith. Another example is property - if your sentimental piece of Jewell was stolen and ended up in the hands of an unsuspecting buyer, you would be entitled to have it. Ack without paying for it. The same goes for credit card fraud. So it's a risk and a benefit that we all live with every day.

Well, Airbnb is the group that did the security check so they should cover it. After all there must be a good reason to use them for bookings? Anyway, I don't know what will come if it but they sort 935 on their bookingvand took 300 bucks of stuff before they left.

I did call and report it though so I don't know!! Maybe I should have kept mum?

How did you know they were using a stolen card?

Royal4
Level 1
Azerbaijan

Hi there all. Anyone have an update about this topic? I’m having the same problem currently. Please update more information if you have. 

Cheers 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Royal4

It will be in the T&Cs click the link to read them

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/terms/payments_terms