Contract from hosts

Anais-And-Stephen0
Level 1
Emeryville, CA

Contract from hosts

Hello, 

I booked a cabin in Tahoe 2 to 3 weeks ago for this weekend. Yesterday afternoon, I recieved an email from the host asking me to print, sign, scan  and email back 7 pages of a contract. If I don't do so, they won't give me the key to the cabin. Since I don't have access to a scanner, I printed the contract, signed it and sent pictures of it by text to the host. I also sent an email letting them know that I texted them. Being a host myself, I can understand that you would want to have a contract. But what I don't understand is the fact that you sent me the contract 24 hours before checking while I booked weeks ago with no respect what so ever to my schedule. There was no mention of a contract in the description of the listing. I even contated the host before booking to ask if I could bring my dog. They replied but never mentionned that I had to sign a contract. I still haven't received instructions to access the cabin. I already booked my ski classes, lift tickets and gears. Is there something I can do? 

2 Replies 2
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Anais-And-Stephen0  Airbnb does allow hosts to request that guests sign contracts, however, the listing must disclose the requirement of a contract along with a summary of the terms. This way the subject of a contract and its terms don't get sprung on unsuspecting guests that didn't have any idea it was coming nor had the opportunity to decide to look elsewhere if the terms were too onerous.  If this host did not do this, you are not required to sign a contract unless you want to.  Here's a relevant link on the subject:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/465/can-hosts-ask-guests-to-sign-a-contract

Note that whatever you sign is between you and the host....Airbnb will have no involvement in any disputes. 

If the existence of a contract was not disclosed in the listing and you do not want to sign one and the host won't honor your reservation as it was accepted, you can request that the host cancel the reservation so you will get a full refund.  Here's how to do this: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1250/what-should-i-do-if-my-host-needs-to-cancel

By doing this, the host will have to accept your reservation as booked or cancel it themselves. 

There are lots of property management companies in Lake Tahoe and the Palm Springs area that are requiring contracts without knowing  the proper Airbnb procedures.  

Hope this helps!

You have a booked and confirmed reservation through Airbnb.  That is really all you need.  If the hosts do not have posted in their listing that you must sign a contract, they cannot make you sign one as per the Airbnb Terms of Service.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/465/can-hosts-ask-guests-to-sign-a-contract  This means that the host must cancel the reservation if they refuse to let you into the property.  It also means they will be in breach of their agreement with Airbnb to allow entry to the property that they list on their site.  If you have no intention to sign the contract and/or do not agree to it's terms (I'd read that sucker!),  then be prepared to have to find alternative housing with help from Airbnb.  I would contact the hosts and let them know so they have the opportunity to cancel - you get a full refund and they get their calendar blocked. Use the phone number on your reservation confirmation to contact Airbnb when and if this happens.