Community Spotlight: Linda108

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight: Linda108

IMG_1406_copy.jpg

Hello everyone,

For those of you who have been in the Community Center for a little while, you will remember we have had some fantastic Community Spotlights, where we got to know Andrea (@Andrea), Gerry (@Gerry And Rashid) and Alice (@Alice & Jeff). We have had a little break, but I am pleased to say that we will be back to hosting these more frequently. To recap for those of you who is unfamiliar with this, Community Spotlight is where we ask a member of our community a few questions and get to know them a little better. 🙂

This month, many of you know her very well here in the CC:

Linda.png

La Quinta, CA

How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

I have been hosting for a little over 2 years now. I started when Air BNB had a recruitment effort in my area. One of the recruiters helped to get over my internet phobia and got started.

Tell us a little about your listing?

I have a private room in my home that started as a guest room for friends and family. Since it was not used most of the time, my daughter suggested I list with Air BNB. Mind you, I have lived alone for the last 15 years, so the thought of strangers in my home was a HUGE leap. I was so lucky to have really great and interesting guests that after a year, I expanded the space to include a secondary room. This change has allowed me to enjoy different party configurations. Now I have parents with teenagers, non-intimate traveling companions, two couples which is quite fun.

How long have your been part of the Community Center and why did you join?

For the life of me, I cannot remember how I got started with the CC about a year and a half ago. I probably was just wandering around the site because I like to do that. I did use the site to contact another host when I heard about the Home Sharing Clubs and she helped me connect with Air BNB to set one up in my City as well. Now it is easy to make that connection, but it wasn't so easy back then. Then I got hooked on all the information I learned about hosting in other countries along with helpful tips about navigating. Then I found I liked helping other hosts as I always remember how stumped I would get when I was first starting out.

What is your favourite thing about the CC and if you could make it better what one thing would you improve?

Like so many retirees, I like my routine. Now my routine includes daily morning CC log on along with my cup of coffee. The earlier camaraderie I felt with other high posting hosts has diminished a bit with more hosts participating but that is a good thing.

If you could live anywhere else in the world where would it be? Why?

At this stage in my life, adventure in where I live is lower on the list than in my earlier life. I want to always increase my life, but now closeness with family and friends is more important. Since my daughter lives near San Francisco, I would love the many beautiful cities near there. Of course, I would need to win the California Lottery to be able to afford a home there.

Are you more of a film or book person? What was the last film/book you watched/read?

Actually I usually have an audio book in the car with a hard copy book next to the couch where I love to nap! As for films, I am not a block buster film person, but I do like a good film. Recently saw the US film, The Post, about the 1970's publication of the Pentagon Papers which support the anti-Viet Nam war movement. Good history lesson but very appropriate to current US politics. As for a book, just finished Dan Brown's newest book, Origins. Very thought provoking.

Outside of hosting, what interests do you have?

I live in a part of the US known for great weather when most of the country is cold. Love to be outside and enjoy the beauty of the desert. I am a dog owner and in addition to enjoying my own dog, I enjoy watching all dogs interact with both their people and other dogs. Years ago I was an amateur ballroom dance competitor and still love dancing. I am a volunteer for various events here in the desert such as the Palm Springs International Film Festival, The La Quinta Art Festival, The Living Desert Zoo and Botanical Garden. I love having time to not only help through volunteering but also to enlighten and educate myself as well.

What makes you get up on a Monday morning? 🙂

As a retired person, I am not always aware it is Monday 😄 Soooo, what gets me up is the MORNING! I love the morning. I am up very early as I like to hear the first bird, smell the fresh air and ease myself into the day. Of course the downside to my love of morning is that I am rarely awake past 9 at night :P.

Thank you so much Linda for taking part and for sharing a little more about yourself. It is really fascinating to hear. 🙂

Please do feel free to response to Linda with any questions about the above or nice comments, I am sure she would love to hear from you.  

Enjoy!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

15 Replies 15
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Love this spotlight series @Lizzie i always appreciate this ladies thoughtful comments as well. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@LizzieDelighful series. Fun learning more about a specific host and comparing to one's depiction of them.

@Linda Being about the same age as you, quite a few things you said I could sure identify with, such as the joy of mornings vs. other times of the day. Also now having the time to once again read and contemplate about things that a busy working life oftentimes does not facilitate. Also your sense of inner peace.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Thanks, @Lizzie! Another great installment in the series. Love reading your advice, @Linda, always good, and more about you here. Yes to audio books in the car!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Good profile @Lizzie! Thanks for sharing, Linda: it's good to get to know a bit more about other hosts on the board. It's an interesting peek into your life. Another morning person here also!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Lizzie What an awesome idea to discover a little bit about other hosts lives on the community! I really like how Linda has expressed herself and shared her lifestyle on the community spotlight.

Another great Community Spotlight post, @Lizzie.  @Linda - Thank you for being open with us and sharing some personal details about yourself!  It's a pleasure getting to know you better.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It is fantastic to see all your lovely comments here @Alice-and-Jeff0@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0@Alexandra316@Lawrene0@Fred13@Ria16. I'm just going to mention in @Linda108, so she doesn't miss seeing your replies.

I have to say I am always a little in awe of morning people, you always make the most of the day. I am much more of an night owl, which is probably why you see me reply to you at weird hours of the day. 🙂

Linda, what I loved hearing about in particular from your spotlight is you love for ballroom dance. Have you danced since you were little and do you still dance much?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Such lovely comments for so many hosts that have become familiar to me.  Thank you. 

@Lizzie  as to ballroom dance, I thought I knew how to dance until I started ballroom dance lessons in my 40's.  Then I found I had two left feet; very poor balance for spinning and some reluctance to allow the man to lead 😛  I now look at that decade of my life as being in the best shape and loving how people blossom as they learn to dance.  The popularity of the various TV dance shows attests to the universality of how much humans love to move to music and how much humans love to watch.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It is really nice to hear @Linda108.

Here in the UK we have a tv show called, Strictly Come Dancing and it involves celebrities learning to dance. It is so popular and I am sure it must of encouraged quite a few people to start dancing. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't matter what age you start and I bet it is amazing exercise. I am not sure I could dance infront of people, I might endanger others around me! hehe 🙂

--------------------

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie

I also love this series. I am a bit of a night owl too and that doesn't seem to change as I get older, but I do admire those that can get up at the crack of dawn!

@Linda

Thanks for sharing your insights with us. Your place looks very cosy, with lots of lovely sunny spots to relax in. It's interesting to know that you're an accidental Airbnb host (a bit like myself). I wonder how many others of us are out there?!

Bob175
Level 2
San Mateo, CA

As a fellow retiree, I know exactly what you mean about not knowing it's Monday. I joke that every day is Friday and that I need a newspaper to determine what day it really is. I also share your love of early morning. My bedroom faces East, so I can see the sunrise. Unlike you, I don't typically go to be before 11:00 or so. I've never needed more than 4-5 hours.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I like reading the spotlight series! Very interesting and fun to see what hosts have to say.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yeah, I completely agree @J-Renato0. We spend so much time speaking to each other here, but sometimes we actually don't know that much about one another. Hopefully this is a good start. 🙂

--------------------

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Linda108

Hi Linda - sounds like you have the right balance between enjoying hosting and enjoying life. Letting guests know about you we think is key to attracting the right kind of guests who will appreciate and fit in with your lifestyle. Good luck!