Chicago Shared Housing Unit Registration - appeal process

Stacy13
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Chicago Shared Housing Unit Registration - appeal process

We just got a denial for my shared housing registration application. I own a two flat that I have been airbnb'ing out. Does anyone have any advice on a reason I can give for an appeal? I don't know if someone has been successful in getting a shared housing registration approval for multi unit buildings they don't live in? 

Thanks!

Greg

6 Replies 6
Mary282
Level 3
Chicago, IL

I am no expert, but I think the law says that you have to reside in the building (or home?) at least 6 months out of the year.  

Did you ask them why the registration was denied? 

You're the second person I heard this from.  The other owns in a 2 flat in Logan Square.  Also, there's a list of high rise building on the city's website that are forbidden to homeshare.  

Good luck with your appeal! 

Alan15
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Did you end up appealing the denial? What was the out come? I'm in a similar situation to yourself. Own a two flat, live in one unit, rent out the other on Airbnb. 

Lori175
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hello

I am also in this situation. Having a hard time finding help on deciphering the 9 points the city wants to address. Specifically 1)geography 2)population I have reached out to real estate lawyers and it seems they don’t know the shared housing laws or care to assist in drafting the response to the city. I’m currently going to try the alderman to gain insight.

anyone have any other suggestions!

Hi Lori & Agustin,

I have a 2 flat in Lakeview and just learned that my license application was rejected as well.  Were you able to get any help from the Alderman?

Thank you.

Julie

Danielle335
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I also just got a denial but for my condo in a high rise downtown, where I rent out the private second bedroom, not the whole unit. I have the option to appeal in the next ten days which I am trying to drag out. I’m not sure of the legality though of my renting out my second bedroom in a “prohibited building”, bc theoretically while I live here they are my guest. Anyone have any experience with private rooms in Airbnb? 

Naomi-And-JJ0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the appeals process?