Chewing gum in the carpet

Andy68
Level 1
Belfast, United Kingdom

Chewing gum in the carpet

Firstly anyone know how to get chewing gum out of carpet. 

I didn't notice it until a couple of guests had been through the room. The second guest says it wasn't him, and I believe it. I didn't meet the earlier guest and a bit of time has passed now. Is there any way of claiming for the damage? Does Airbnb have insurance for eventualities like this? I think the only way is to replace the carpet in the room.

Andy

4 Replies 4
Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Hello Andy,

It depends on how stuck the gum is. You can only file a claim for the security deposit the first 48 hours after the guest check's-out. And you're not 100% sure who it was, the claim will probably won't proceed.

The best way to take it out is with ice, freeze the gum until its really hard and you should be able to pull it. It will leave a small dent, though...

Karin38
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Freeze it with an ice pack and it should break apart
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Look it up online - in fact it's easier to get it out when it's older than when it's new and tacky and sticky. Ice and more ice and it will be as good as new. You wouldn;t have succeed in a claim for replacing an entire carpet for something that can be remedied quite easily. 

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

I have also learned about the ice, but the other day I read if you rub some Peanut Butter on the area it is easy to remove gum. I have not tried it.  Maybe a good idea to try  this out before applying it to a carpet? I asume it is easier to remove the fatty stain of peunut butter afterwards that to try other ways to get rid of the gum. Apperantly it works well.