Check out time versus departure time

Stephanie179
Level 2
Alexandria, VA

Check out time versus departure time

Good morning, 

I'm new to hosting and just had my second set of guests stay last night for 1 night in a "private room w/bath" in my home.  They've checked out on AirBnB but haven't left the house--I can tell because my coded door lock will let me know when a code is entered so I messaged the guest and asked her to turn off a light "if she hadn't left yet."  She responded she would.  So here's my question...does check out when it's a private room mean just check out from the room or does it mean to leave the house?  I'm at work and not there, but still I thought when guests "checked out" they actually left the premise completely. 

Thanks

Stephanie

10 Replies 10
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Check-out time means they vacate your property by that time.

One of your listings says Check Out at 11:00AM, but the Master Bedroom listing does NOT list a check-out time.  You'll want to add the check-out time to that listing, otherwise, there isn't "really" a rule regarding when guests HAVE to leave.

Thanks for pointing out the one listing is missing a check out time...I'll fix that ASAP!  

These guests were in the other room listed.

I understand "check out time" means when they vacate the property. But what if I get an email through AirBnB they have "checked out" but I find they haven't actually left the premises.  Or what triggers the email saying a guest has checked out?

Again, thank you for pointing out the lack of a check out time on the other room.

Stephanie 

The check out email from AirBnB is automated and you'll receive another one stating to write a review around 11am. Most times the guest will still be onsite and slowly packing up their belongings. Its best to ascertain the time the guest is leaving before they arrive otherwise a guest will inform you last minute they have a late flight or they want to leave their luggage with you. You will return home to still see their luggage in your house and wonder what they are still doing there.

Best.

@Stephanie179 this is a terrible misconception bc of the email sent by ABB --- your guest hasn't done anything to "checkout" nor have they left, this is just an automated email. You need to set a plan for how you will know your guest has left and simply ignore that msg from ABB.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Airbnb never knows when the guests have arrived or left.  Check in and check out times are set by you.  The Airbnb email suggesting they have checked out usually shows up in the late morning and is just a reminder to you that their stay ends today.

If you need the guests out by a certain time so cleaners can go in, you should remind them of that with a message the night before.

If your cleaners show up and the guests are not gone the cleaners should encourage them to leave ASAP and should notify you.

If you don't have cleaners and you will clean/turn over the room when you get home, then you can offer late check out as a courtesy.  Some guests will be very happy that they can come back at 4 pm for their luggage, and others will check out at 9 am anyway.

Communicate with the guests, both your expectations and their plans.

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

I'm so over guests wanting early check in and late check out. My last guest asked if they could leave their bags, For the first and last time I said yes thinking they would pick them up about 12. At 5pm they turned up sat themselves dont at my table. Started to plug all there computors and phones in.  Then jumped into my pool used one of my towels. Then started to walk back into the room that I had just spent all day cleaning so they could have a shower as they wanted to wash their hair.  I said no but one complain so loudly that I let him into my second bathroom to shower (luckly I have three bathrooms). Then the other used my guest toilet that I had just cleaned.  They then told me that they would be staying another hour.  After this I will never be letting anyone leave their bags every again.

Irene30
Level 3
Bowness-on-Windermere, United Kingdom

I can't believe you allowed them to do that, that really is taking your hospitality for granted, do you not have a check out time, that when they come back for their bags, you can point out to them that check out time is well past, and they can no longer use your facilaties.

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

oh and check out does mean you leave the house and property. They are just trying to get their moneys worth

Stephanie179
Level 2
Alexandria, VA

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the feedback and information.  

Eileen69
Level 3
Brigadoon, Australia

Hi,

We have a 'welcome card' with wifi; contact numbers; & check out times clearly listed, I also run through this with them at the check in.  We also send a courtesy message to the guest,(s) the evening before the day of their departure to remind them that the accommodation has been scheduled for cleaning at a specific time and that they need to leave prior to this.   If there's no other guests arriving that day we normally extend their check out time, within reason, to suit their onward travel arrangements. It's worked so far.

Eileen & Robert

Perth, WA

hope this helps.

Eileen

Perth