Charging in case of room changes - this is a NO GO!

SandraandGary0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Charging in case of room changes - this is a NO GO!

Dear Airbnb & Host Community,

We had a booking for one of our two rooms and needed to change it, because our current guest extended.

I spoke to the upcoming guest and asked him, whether it's ok, when I change his booking to the other room. It was ok for him.

Luckily the Airbnb platform offers the option to change from one booking to another - and also shows you a price difference in case.

But what it doesn't show is, that YOU Airbnb charge 2,5% to OUR GUEST, although WE where the initiator! - Apart from the fact that it's not really justified to charge money for something, where no further tasks or administrations appear, because the price is the same and it's only another option in a dropdown field!

Our guest was really upset and disappointed - and we too! 

I wish you would be so honest and wise to pay back this amount to the guest - you already charge more than 10% for a booking! That's far enough!

At least you should bring up a message before submitting the booking, which amount will be charged to whom!

4 Replies 4
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

I am unsure from your letter whether the change was made by cancelling and rebooking an alternate room, or if you use thealteration to to change the room, or if you sent the guest a special offer which also allows an opportunity to change some booking details. Each of these options will have some effect on the pricing and the party making the change needs to monitor the pricing information as the change is being set up and manual adjustments to realign the totals or any subtotals is possible at the time of putting the changes through.

Keep in mind that Airbnb is not acting as an omniprescent being, it has a automated set of online tools which can be used in a variety of ways to conduct booking and financial transactions, and it is possible for hosts to have greater control than they realise. Occasionally there are glitches when there are software problems, timeouts or network connection hiccups. But quite often the problem is that hosts are not as familiar with their online tools and options as would be ideal and allow them to conduct transactions the way they wish. The fault should not automatically be thrown at Airbnb. 

I make the above comments because, random accusions of this nature will not solve the problem when the blame is lumped on another party. It puts the responsibility for solutions elsewhere and if incorrectly attributed,no solution    Will be forthcoming. Where the problem is recognised as user error and Hosts take action to improve their understanding of how site tools work, then they will be better off immediately they realise a more suitable way to manage and manipulate the tools available for conducting their business. 

As a long time Host, I understand many of the frustrations expressed from time to time in these forums, but I cannot emphasise enough that time spent learning how to use the Host tools and recognising how to adapt them to the variety of requests, changes, alterations and so forth that are an inevitable part of hosting is vital and never wasted time. In doing so you will avoid a lot of heartache and confusion for yourself and your guests. 

If you visit the communityCentre, ther are links to Dave and Debs community User Guides, they offer some introductory lessons on using Host tools, then pursue learning via the FAQs, as for contacting Airbnb, it is a helpline for hosting problems, not so much basic learning re hosting tools and getting to know your website. That can be done with time and persistance and curiosity. Even so, if you cannot locate via your own site,and I acknowledge that Airbnb has buried their numbers a little bit, no doubt because they are trying to manage the demands which they fear being swamped by from hosts who would rather phone and ask,  " how do I? "...... Instead of typing the key word into the Help centre and reading a few user guides. They are well written and designed for the purpose of Host education. They appear to be under used, judging by many forum questions. 

If you still have a need to contact Airbnb, then use your brower and type in words such as contact Airbnbhelp and you will most likely be shocked by the speed at which you locate the information you are seeking.

Truly and sincerely best Regards to all.

Christine.

Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Host Voice Admin
SF, CA

Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Host Voice Admin
SF, CA

Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Host Voice Admin