Change of booking?

LaVerne0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Change of booking?

I had a guest inquire about smoking and I readly answered. He has booked for 2 people 2 nights.  I gave a pre-approval.  THEN he sends me an email that he wants to bring 5 people and an air mattrice.  My house rules are clear only 3 guest.  So, now he has changed to 1 guest and the dates show accepted.  I put in a decline but it still shows "accepted".  I then put in a cancel, still show accepted.  What else do I do?

**[Title Updated]

4 Replies 4
Neti1
Level 4
New Orleans, LA

Hi LaVerne, I would call Airbnb.  First of all, if you cancel, that reflects badly on you.  The guest should be cancelling, not you.  You can choose to refund any money they lose because of your cancellation policy, totally up to you. You sent a pre-approval, so you couldn't then decline if the guest booked via the pre-approval, but you didn't pre-approve 5 guests, and now he says only one guest and we must assume there is something fishy going on.  I guess he sent you an alteration request to change from two guests to one, and you declined?  Then the reservation would still be in force, for two people. Please call Airbnb and talk to them about it.  If you already cancelled ask them to waive the cancellation penalties. You can find the contact info easily on any Airbnb help page, the "Contact" link (on computer, don't know about app), or see the excellent article https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245.  You could also write to the guest telling them you are concerned about what his plans are and can he please explain, maybe he is now booking two separate places, who knows. If you email to Airbnb via the link  in the help pages, state clearly that you want to speak to Airbnb because your guest asks to bring more guests than your maximum and you need the guest or Airbnb to cancel the reservation.  Not a good idea for you to cancel it yourself! Good luck, Neti

Thank you for the info.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @LaVerne0,

Nice to see you again. 

I hope you don't mind, to make it easier to find you question here, I have moved it out of the Tips thread. 

In terms of your question, I wonder if in this situation you could send an alteration request to your guest? 

Speak to you soon.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Well Lizzie, I felt so uncomfortable with this guest because of the many inquiries and type of bookings he attemped, first 2 guest 2 days, then he asked if he can "Bring" 5 guests and an air mattress. 3rd he changed to 1 guest same dates. 4th, he booked 2 guests 3 days in another month.  My fear was he would show up with the 5 guests and the air mattress.  So, I cancelled him and that will affect my status.