Cancellation

David878
Level 1
Wellington, New Zealand

Cancellation

I have a guest in at the moment for 11 nights. I have just received an 'alter reservation' request asking to cancel the next 6 nights from tommorrow. He has messaged me to say that the apartment is great but that his circumstances have suddenly changed. I have a 'flexible' cancellation policy (I need to change as I have had too many late cancellations). The flexible policy seems to be saying that guests can cancel and get a full refund so I dont understand why I am being asked by the system to approve or decline his request for an 'alteration'. The funds he paid have gone to bills so I dont know what I can do about a repayment and no real chance of another booking  at this late stage.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

Every alteration in the reservation (see it as a contract) has to be confirmed (or declined) by the opposite party.

It will also change your calender for the remaining days if you accept.

The calculation of the amount of money guest will be refunded is automatically done by Airbnb.

You will receive notice of it and it will appear in your account under transaction history and/or future transactions.

Best regards,

Emiel

David878
Level 1
Wellington, New Zealand

I guess I'm wanting to know what happens if I decline the 'alteration'?

You will be at the mercy of Airbnb's Customer Service and its case managers' moods - I've heard here that they sometimes  act in a strange way.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @David878,

You've probably responded one way or another by now.

If you accepted then the refund will be paid by Airbnb by deducting the amount from your next reservation payout.

If you decllined then the reservation will stay as it was, 11 days.

Steve.

David878
Level 1
Wellington, New Zealand

Thanks Steve. Thats helpful.