Cancellation policy

Cancellation policy

Hello

Im currently renting my flat out on air bnb - I have plans to put the flat up for sale in the next couple of months. The problem I have is that I am already getting reservations for into the late summer, but because I don't know how quickly the flat will sell I don't know whether I will be able to fulfill them. Can anybody tell me in a bit more detail about the cancellation penalties - I don't want to mess anyone about or get any penalties. Am I right in thinking that as long as I give more than 7 days notice to the Booker I would not get a penalty ( I would always ensure they got more notice than this but just to double check).

thanks 

2 Replies 2
Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lynda4

No, that's not how cancellation works. If you, as a host, cancel any confirmed reservation, you get penalized in search rankings and probably lose whatever fees Airbnb has collected, though I'm not sure because I haven't canceled.

You're confusing the cancellation policy for hosts and guests. Hosts always get penalized for any cancellation of a confirmed reservation. Guests can cancel, minus the Airbnb fees, depending on the host's settings. (Strict, moderate, flexible.)

To permanently solve your problem, make sure you set your calendar to ONLY accept reservations three months out. See here for how to do that:

dfd.JPG

@Lynda4     DON'T CANCEL !!! Airbnb is based on trust, when a reservation is confirmed it is a contract and like all contracts are binding for both parties. There are serious consequences to cancelling a reservation. You will  be charged a $100 fee, then, for every additional cancellation within a 6-month period, you'll be charged $50 per cancellation. your calendar will be blocked for thoses dates, an automated posting appears on you profile which tells future guests you cancelled someone's holiday less than a week before they arrive and you will loose eligibility to become a super host. You can read all this on the FAQ which I encourage you to study.  Ahttps://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/how-do-the-cancellation-penalties-work‏