Cancellation due to illness and want to make sure that the guest is reimbursed.

Cancellation due to illness and want to make sure that the guest is reimbursed.

I have had to cancel a reservation due to illness and want to make sure that the guest is reimbursed.

3 Replies 3
Peter618
Level 10
Chur, Switzerland

@Wendy308

The guest will get his money back automatically.

You should worry about yourself however, never ever cancel yourself in such a case.

Call airbnb support and ask them to cancel because of extenuation circumstances.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Peter618, like @Wendy308 said, if you xancel, they get their money back. You can still call support and explain the situation. They may ask for proof, a confirmation that you are in hospital or by a doctor, that you can’t host, without specifics what ails you. It’s worth it to do that, to avoid the automatic posting “host cancelled” and other penalties. 

Get better soon!

Tamar-And-Michael0
Level 2
Kensington, Australia

For other host's information:

I recently had to cancel a reservation as a host due to illness with 2 days notice prior to the guest check-in. 

I called Airbnb support and the call centre person (Justine) was very helpful and understanding. 

She reviewed my host history and because I am a superhost, have never previously cancelled and generally have 5-star reviews, she waived all host penalties for cancellation and did not require supporting documentation (this was a 'one off'). 

She advised that if in future I needed to cancel, then I would need to provide a medical certificate from a personal doctor indicating that I would be unable host for the relevant period. 

Hope this helps for other hosts in a similar situation.