Canceling an idiot of a reservation

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Canceling an idiot of a reservation

I admit hosting requires a bit of patience. Who am I kidding it requires a lot to tolerate some one of the things that are thrown at us hosts and often times we get it from all sides and usually before, during and after a reservation. I had a guest book a reservation about a month ago and I quickly asked him "what is your time of arrival and departure?" I state to ALL interested guests that I need this information to coordinate keys, so I know when to expect you, I know when to expect your call if I'm at work or if youre lost and so I can let you know about additional charges if you are trying to check in early or check out late. Many guests wait until check out day to ask about bag storage or a late check out which steams my kettle. This is pretty simple information to provide if youre flying in as it states that information on your airline ticket.

Well I don't cancel reservations that often, but my goodness I want to cancel this SOB! This is a futile effort in information gathering. The guest responds quickly with flight number, which isn't correct and also states they are arriving one day earlier! Two days before the reservation yet again I ask WHAT is your arrival time and departure time and to clarify arrival date. They only respond they "will have to adjust that". If this guest is this difficult to communicate with BEFORE arrival I dont know if I want to deal with them while they are here for the week. It doesn't help that they are older than the demographic I ususally host. I've hosted guests like this before and they are completely unaware of how to be independent and have no idea this is not a hotel. I end up receiving a less than stellar review.

Im not sure if the guest has diminished mental capacity but if you cant provide a host with an arrival and departure time how did you intend to navigate your way to my  house?

I can take the hit of a cancellation fee if it means I can keep my sanity. Thats a trade off Id take any day of the week.

5 Replies 5
Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Some people are not good communicating via the Airbnb platform or with texting, but can be lovely guests.

At this juncture I would simply call him and have a real time conversation with him over the phone. After getting the information I needed, I'd message back to him on the Airbnb platform to confirm my understanding of the date and time of his arrival.

After reading your response I decided to call the guest. Nice guy and as suspected there was more to the story. Retired military guy trying to fly on a space available. I suppose he could have just wrote me that. Calling guest before arrival seems to be a nice touch. I forget how nice it is to receive a call sometimes.

so the guest finally arrived a DAY late without notice and the first thing they do is BREAK my key in the lock of my front door. Just twisted it clean off in my lock. they laughed it off and said 'oh well'. not really taking the matter seriously. how am i suppose to lock my house? how is anyone suppose to get in if the inside guest locks my door. how can I get in??? i wasnt in a laughing mood because no one needs more tasks to add to their day and i knew i should have listened to my instincts and cancelled their resevation. then they arrive and immediately walk on my carpet with their dirty shoes even though ive told them 5 times to not wear shoes on my carpet! this is for all the people that give guests the benefit of the doubt. dont!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You have pointed out something I never considered - people flying standby hoping that we will credit them for no show.

I had been semi-liberal with no-shows - usually refunding 50% of the first day if they were polite.

But now that I know that the guests are gambling, I will consider keeping 100% of no-shows payment.

i always keep 100% of the payment for no shows. oddly enough no shows take the most amount of work and communication and they dont even show up when they say. at some point the person MUST know when their flight arrives into your city. airplanes, cars and trains arent just floating in time aimlessly.