Can i request ONLY female in my house?

Mondi0
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

Can i request ONLY female in my house?

I live with my youn teen daughter... she feels uncomfortable to have men as guest... i wonder if i can have ONLY FEMALE?

72 Replies 72
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Mondi0,

This question is not new and I completely understand your situation.  I would suggest that you include that in your listing title and also have it as one of your first items in the listing summary and detailed description.  I might also include it in your house rules.  You want to do this so there are no questions as to whether a male guest saw it or not.  Also, by doing this, you will have to decline fewer males inquiring/requesting about booking your place which could affect your response rate or getting that email saying you decline too often.  

There is no way right now to check a box showing that it is "Female" only.  You are not the only one with this issue as there are a lot of single ladies who would prefer not to host men, especially single men.  And who knows, I am sure there are lots of women who might be attracted to this type of listing.

Good luck @Mondi0!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

can i request female only in my listing or could i be reported for this . thank you

Hi I’m a single father and I can say there’s leRning on how to handle each client from the most random high expectation guest to families that needs their own space they don’t have in cities to what I attract to my space... it could be a good opportunity to take on the challenge and learn to handle single men in a Humane way where you can change paintings and magazines  plants and colours so their respected in a way they have never felt and respect you rather than creating what you don’t want opening up a different approach to humans... intention can play a big role and create positive situation for yourself and put your concern to sleep! 

An example is having a random single male feel welcome and respected without going over the line...... I hope this helps food for thought 🙂

@Matt515   What you say sounds sensible, but you are speaking from the perspective of a respectful guy. Changing out decor to suit a male guest is not going to do anything when the issue is a male guest who doesn't respect a woman's boundaries, who thinks it's okay to hit on a female host when she's given him zero encouragement and in fact, tried politely to reject his advances and let him know it was wholly inappropriate. There have been several posts from female hosts who have had this happen to them.

Yes, accomodating different guests needs and personalities is a challenge, and can be an interesting learning experience, but putting up with highly inappropriate behavior isn't something any host should have to endure.

As far as changing out decor to suit men- that to me would be a ridiculous waste of time and energy. I understand that most heterosexual males wouldn't feel comfortable in a frilly pink room with pictures of cute kittens on the walls and crocheted doilies on the furniture, but I think the majority of hosts furnish and decorate their listings in a gender-neutral way. 

Hi Sarha, 

ok, is it ok with you to throw some questions your way as I feel I can help you attract the right flow of clientel? 

M

I am sorry Matt but you really don't have any clue how dangerous it truly is for women. In just one week i have had 4 very inappropriate and creepy male situations, god only knows what would have happened if they had been in my house or a place where no one else was around. Men really have no clue how often this happens to women. The risks for us are far too great. As femicide and rape kits and statistics are finally getting to be studied by law, it is going to shock the heck out of most men how regular and common it is for us to be in constant fear around men. We have to look over our shoulders everywhere we go in ways that men just can't comprehend...well most men anyway, because the guys who get it really get it. There aren't millions of women (doctors, lawyers, teachers, mothers, etc) marching in the streets for no reason.

@Matt515 wrote:

Hi I’m a single father and I can say there’s leRning on how to handle each client from the most random high expectation guest to families that needs their own space they don’t have in cities to what I attract to my space... it could be a good opportunity to take on the challenge and learn to handle single men in a Humane way where you can change paintings and magazines  plants and colours so their respected in a way they have never felt and respect you rather than creating what you don’t want opening up a different approach to humans... intention can play a big role and create positive situation for yourself and put your concern to sleep! 

An example is having a random single male feel welcome and respected without going over the line...... I hope this helps food for thought 🙂

@Matt515 wrote:

Yes u can

Do u want to meet

Hi, 

I put advertisement like this on fb groups and I almost immediately received a nasty comment from a man that I am sexist and that I might be sued for it. I took it down straight away but I feel this is unfair, why do I need to lie and than say to people directly that I need only woman as the circumstances in the house require it ( we're 2 muslim couples and we as a women wearing hijab don't feel comfortable to have a single man in the house). I am not stating a race or ethnicity, we are very open, but these comments really put me down, this is such a hypocrisy... 😞

Sorry.... Women and minorities can't have it both ways. Discrimination is discrimination. Contrary to popular belief, Men have some rights too you know.  🙂

@Drew63  But men do not have a "right" to book a room in a home where the host may be a single woman with or without children who doesn't feel comfortable having an unknown man in her home. It would be different if it was a self-contained apartment or house and the host discriminated against men, that certainly wouldn't be okay.

I don't want to sound hostile or unfriendly, so please don't misconstrue my tone when I say this: I went and read the airbnb rules and surprisingly discriminating against Men in listings isn't always discriminatory.... even though it should be. If the roles were reversed and Men said No Women there would be women wearing p-ssy hats on their heads and rioting in the streets! (Wait, that really did happen!) But apparently it says Airbnb bases ones sex on ones stated gender identity on airbnb...so theoretically, A Man could simply say he's a Women (self identification) and he can rent anywhere! Nobody can tell him he's not because according the the newest rules. that would be discrimination and you will be kicked off Airbnb for doing so in a pattern.  So I guess Men should all change their profiles to say Women because most Women will rent to Women and most Men will rent to Women. Incidentally, Men get charged different (higher) prices as a result of being Men. 

@Drew63 That's absurd- my male guests don't get charged more than my female guests and I can't imagine any host doing that. 

So what you're basically saying is that it would be more important to you to scam your way into a listing by pretending you're a woman, then try to cause the host to be kicked off airbnb when she cancelled yourreservation because you lied, than to just respect her discomfort with having an unknown male in her home?  Just because a woman might not feel comfortable with that, doesn't indicate that the woman dislikes men at all.

Just because I don't accept pets doesn't mean I don't like them or discriminate against them. I just happen to have a large female dog who won't tolerate other dogs on her territory.

Suzanne354
Level 1
Belfast, United Kingdom

Good intellient answer - I wanted to say 'bore off'! My 18 year old is travelling Europe shortly and I am keen to find female hosts that don't allow men because as parents we would feel she'd be safer.