Booking Questions

Kathy226
Level 1
Minnesota, United States

Booking Questions

Hi - I just listed my vacation rental home.  I left another major vacation home rental site because of their business model.  My vacation rental home is my second home.  I want to know who is staying in it.  I want to have contact with guests prior to booking.  I also base pricing and cleaning costs on the number of guests, length of stay, and time of year.  It doesn't seem there is much flexibility with the pricing.  If I get a booking request, do I have the option at that time to say what the rental cost and cleaning cost will be or is it set?  Do I have the chance to say no to a booking?  My example would be that my home is in AZ, and we get very few inquiries for the summer months.  There will be an occasional request for a weekend.  But that is about it, so unless I was to get a longer term summer rental, I normally close my home for the summer months.  For now I have blocked the summer months off my calendar so I don't get a booking request for a short term stay.  The rental income for a short stay would not off set paying the utilities for the summer that I would normally put on vacation hold.  What would be the best way to handle this?  Keep the calendar blocked off for the summer months?  Or does anyone have a better suggestion since I am unfamiliar with the booking process?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Hi @Kathy226! Welcome!

The calendar actually provides a good amount of flexibility in pricing, though navigating the options can be a bit tricky at first. You can change the required length of stay for different times of the year, and can change the price manually for any given day or any number of highlighted days at a time. You can also offer discounts for longer-term stays if you like. The cleaning fee is fixed at a set price per stay. However, you can add an additional cost per guest. You can also choose to make a "special offer" when someone requests to book. The special offer option is often used to give someone a discount, or to add an additional fee if you charge extra for something like a pet or use of a facility. 

It sounds like you might want to put a required length of stay for the summer months, so you will only receive inquiries for stays that are worth your while. Another option would be to raise the price in the summer but offer a discount for longer stays. 

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

@Lyndsay0 great answer and information. 

@ Kathy@Kathy I would caution sending a special offer for more money. Airbnb blocked my calendar when I did that to add extra guest. I called them explained the guest decided not to stay because they didn't want to pay extra person fee(fine with me Budget Inn down the street doesn't charge for extra person and they don't wash bedspreads)

Airbnb cleared calendar and I booked a guest who was willing to pay m published rate. 

Good luck and happy hosting!