Blocking the Airbnb Calendar - Should look just like a rental

Rob66
Level 1
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Blocking the Airbnb Calendar - Should look just like a rental

I've noticed problems with the calendar feature over the past few years. When I want to block the calender because I want to use my own property, it blocks the entire day at both ends of my stay. It should block the calendar just as it would for a normal reservation, showing the morning of the day I arrive as available, and the afternoon of the day I leave as available. As it is now, if I block the house for the 1st through the 7th, it shows that no one can check out the morning of the 1st, and noone can check in on the afternoon of the 7th. I use VRBO as well and their calendar handles this much better. If I want to block my house it looks like any other booking on the calendar, using the half day bars at each end.

On the same topic, when I block my house, it repeats the text in every date square on the calendar, rather than indicating the block with a long bar. Wouldn't be easier to read if it used the same continuous bar as it does on a booking? 

It seems like it would also make it easier to import and export calendars into other aps.

It seems like such an easy fix!

6 Replies 6
Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I wonder if this has to do with your check-in check out set up, or just the way you are thinking about your trip in your head?  

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Rob66 I've never experienced what you're describing, and I just ran a little experiment on my listing. When I view the listing as a potential guest might, the blocked dates appear blocked (as normal), and if I select the first blocked day as my "check out" date, the booking works fine. Of course, if I try to select the last blocked day as a "check in" date, that won't work. And I wouldn't expect it to.

I wonder, if as Melanie mentioned, you're simply thinking about it wrong. If it helps to picture it correctly, be aware that blocking a date blocks the *night* of the date, not the rest of that day. The way you worded your text make it pretty clear that you're thinking about it wrong. You wrote "if I block the house for the 1st through the 7th, it shows that no one can check out the morning of the 1st, and noone can check in on the afternoon of the 7th"

Again, the fact that the entire start-block day is grayed out doesn't prevent someone from booking the previous night and checking out in the morning (try it yourself). And, if you blocked the 7th (as you say you did), then why would you expect it to be possible for someone to "check in on the afternoon of the 7th"?

Coral3
Level 3
New York, NY

@Rob0 have you tried selecting "None" under Pricing-->Availability Settings-->"How many days do you want to block between reservations?"? 

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

Hello, @Rob66? Did you read the comments to your questions? Did any of them help you understand the situation?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Wei-and-Ting0
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

in that case block from 2nd to 6th? after blocking log out of your account and see if it look the way you want from the outside.