Background Check Appeal

Bryan129
Level 1
Lansdale, PA

Background Check Appeal

I want to book using AirBnB.

Unfortunately, when I tried to first book using AirBnB a couple of years ago, i was denied because a background check showed that I have something on my record.

I have a felony theft conviction from seven years ago. It was a single charge, and the lowest level felony in the state. I completed my punishment, paid restitution, and I have nothing else on my record -- not even a parking ticket -- EVER (OK, I do have a speeding ticket form when I was 23 years old, but that was 20 years ago).

I own my own home that is worth $400k. My ID has been completely verified on AirBNB. I have a job that pays me almost $200k per year. I participate in various local charities. I served in the United States Air Force. I'm married with two kids and have three college degrees. I am about as rock solid a citizen as one could possibly find, except for one blemish on my record. I have provided every shred of information that has ever been asked to AirBnb.  I've rented a dozen times via AirBNB competitors and never had a problem.

Now, apparently, AirBNB says I can appeal this finding about my record. Yet I'll be damned if AirBNB posts any information about exactly how to do that.

So can someone help me with the appeal process?

2 Replies 2
Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Bryan129,

I am afraid I cant really help you. But I wanted to thank you for posting  and sharing your experience regarding your interest in trying to join the Airbnb community.

I have always wondered whether Airbnb was really taking care of us "the hosts" by running a background check on you guys "the guests". No offense taken, but this is such a relief.

Airbnb pride themselves in a non discrimination policy. Make your appeal. And good luck!!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bryan129 

I think tweeting Airbnb would be a good place to start. They're normally quite good at responding. Good luck. And for the record, you seem like the sort of guest I'd welcome in my home. 

As for my past...better left in the past 🙂