Any advice on requesting money for damages?

Any advice on requesting money for damages?

I've had some pretty irritating situations with airbnb guests over the past couple years, but we've finally had some guests leave things so lousy that I'm inclined to ask them to pay damages.  It isn't a jaw dropping story, but it did take 9.5 man hours to cleanup after them.  I budget for a maximum of 4 hours.

Every single surface has sticky or oily something or other on it.  Every table, desk, dresser, side table, hall table, vanity, etc... has sticky stuff, like a bunch of kids were let loose to have a popsicle war.  Both the dresser and the vanity, we had to clean the top of each drawer as stuff had been allowed to drip down the front.  Sticky stuff on the floors.  Food explosion in the microwave.

Our wood top vanity, which has a sign next to it asking to please keep it dry, was left with a lake of water and various soap, shampoo, and other drizzles of things that accumulated so high it started running down the wall.  The top has now permanently swelled in some areas and has bottle ring marks in others.  There are ring marks of something clear and unremovable which I'd guess might be clear nail polish.

Sheets were luckily already red, but the white mattress cover underneath now has blood stains.

Our toiletries bin was decimated by two people staying for 5 nights, some things opened and not used, even 3-4 toothbrushes were used.

Red and white stains on the couch.

As I said, nearly 10 hours to clean a bedroom, bathroom, and hall/foyer area, and we still have damaged items.  And today's guests had to push back their arrival time because it took us so long, so we're looking at a possible negative review because of that.

So, what's the best most tactical way of asking the guest to pay damages without suffering a nasty review?  How much time do I have?

16 Replies 16
Samira42
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Hi Christopher

Could you let me know how you send the request? 

I have a similar problem. My guest checked out yesterday and I was not there to check thing out. He has used 20 of my candles (it means that he literary searched all of my every kitchen cabinets to find different type of them). He even brought in the one that I had in my balcony. It is not too much to care but one of my bar stools is stained and I want to request damage money for it since they are expensive. 

I am filling this form: Resolution Center: Request money

is this correct?

Thank you 

Samira42
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Hi again,

My geust accepted the damage and have paid me the half of the amount that I required him to pay. But I am still in contact with him. Just wanted to let you guys know. By the way, I recommand you to have security deposite if you dont have it already.

thank you all for your helpful feedbacks to Christopher's case.

Samira