Airbnb has no host protection for harassment

Idil4
Level 1
Germany

Airbnb has no host protection for harassment

I am an Airbnb host for more than a year and had all types of people from some who leave the flat door left wide open to others who bring one night stands over. Communication throughout all complications were not fun, although possible. Recently I had the worst guest one could ever imagine. The person left the flat in a filthy condition, and I had to clean blood and excreta from all over the place for a few days. In the end, I had to give a kind warning to the person per message (as she was not home and also I am usually away from  very early until late) and later even apologized for bringing the topic up. She was a passive-aggressive, felt attacked and started a series of personal accusations. Initially she was wishing me bad guests in the future so that I can appreciate her and other nonsense comments. She then started reflecting this on an everyday basis, raging around the house, crashing the doors and murmuring constantly. All the filth aside, I felt locked into my own room, and was uncomfortable in my own house. I canceled the reservation. When airbnb called her to inform about this, there was a huge scene. She was yelling, crashing her stuff to the walls, walking towards me aggressively, taking my pictures in my house without my consent (against the german law), calling me a liar and mentally sick person. She continued screaming outside the flat in the hallway and wanted to keep my house keys until she receives a refund which I did later via Airbnb. I was shaking, wanted to call the police and she only left after she heard the name "police".  I could not function a few days and even had to skip work to calm down. Two weeks later, probably after she left the country because she knew she did wrong things, she left me the worst review ever, calling me neurotic and crazy, raging hate ony my wall. She made up stories to justify that my flat was dirty and claimed ridiculous stories like she cleaned my flat everyday. All I did to deserve this was just one text message asking her to take extra care after her kindly. I am a super host, do my best to make my guests comfortable, enjoy meeting new people and never had such an insult before neither on Airbnb nor in my life. Of course, I sought help from Airbnb. I reported her text messages, wanted to take legal action with the voice record and asked the review to be deleted or at least adjusted for sensible content. Airbnb did not react to any of my reports, I wasted so many days talking to and texting case managers... No single response to take this seriously. Eventually I was told that everything was alright with the guest, and that there was no harassment. I am extremely shocked that the company tolerates harassment and hate. I do not feel myself secure and not sure if they react to worse things like sexual harassment and other kinds of violence. In fact, I did try to report such physical aggression... The company does not have a host guarantee. At least, I think, it is only financial. I am closing my account as soon as possible. Good luck everyone out there!

2 Replies 2
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Idil4,

I am sorry to hear about your issue. Due to the sensitive matter, I have escalated this to customer service. 

I know that you have been in touch with customer service, however, for anyone else reading this discussion needing immediate assistance, the best option is to contact our support team available 24/7 at +1-415-800-5959 // +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free) or www.airbnb.com/contact. Specifically for Germany +49 30 30 80 83 80.

To add, always contact the local police or emergency services immediately if there is an emergency or you feel your personal safety is threatened.

I hope this gets resolved for you. 

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Sheila276
Level 4
Palm Harbor, FL

They don't even allow accurate reviews to warn people of threats even though the scammers can publicly review you.  I wrote a 1 star review for Joey and his profile only shows 5 star reviews.  

content://media/external/file/50098Screenshot_2018-12-27-02-27-45.png