Accomodation for events

Robin90
Level 3
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

Accomodation for events

I am Chairman of the Stroud Wassail.   This is a community event in the town of Stroud UK which occurs each year in January... possibly the most miserable time of the year.

It is based around the ancient custom of visiting your neighbours and wishing them good health and good luck in the coming year (from the original Anglo Saxon words "Waes Hael"... be whole, be healthy).

We started four years ago with a dozen people meeting in the museum garden.   This year we had over 250 performers taking part in processions, performances and Revels across the town.  Next year we hope that the event will be still bigger again.

We are, however, limited by the accomodation available in the town.  There are only two small hotels and a handful of B&B's advertised.   This restricts the ability of visitors to take part in the evenings events and thereby the overal festival's success.   Is there any way in which we can effectively mobilise Air BnB members in the area to support the event?

5 Replies 5
Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Hi Robin

If you want to email airBnB hosts in your area you can search for accomodation based in Stroud by not putting the dates in you will next a comprehensive list.

If you email them (individually) you may persuade some of them to open when they may otherwise be not available. You will invite them to charge high season rates for those days as I take it this festival includes drinking lots of Anglo-Saxon beer and using lots of Anglo-Saxon language.

Robin90
Level 3

Thanks Andrew.   I didn't know that you could do that without starting a discussion about a booking.

Yes, it does involve drinking a lot of beer.  So we need accomodation within staggering distance of the town centre.   Stroud Brewery is going to produce a special "Wass Ale" for the occasion this year.

And Morris dancers in particular are fueled by large amounts of beer.   We had 16 teams of them last year... and clog dancers, belly dancers and mummers

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I assume you advertise the event and when mentioning accomodation options just add that they can ccheck AirBnB.

David
Robin90
Level 3

Thanks David.  We can certainly do that.   However I was hoping to do something a little bit more proactive than that.   We produce a programme for the event and had intended to list possible accomodation providers in its pages.

It may be that we simply put out an appeal on the radio for people to offer space.    Iyt is really just the one night.

Most AirBnB hosts have limited accomodation, usually one room, so listing them may be counter productive. You do not want to specify people with no availability.

David