AIRBNB is biased and hostile towards hosts!!!

Ernesto-and-Judy0
Level 2
California, United States

AIRBNB is biased and hostile towards hosts!!!

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Airbnb and how to resolve/settle disputes between us and hosts and guests.  We have had to go through several claims through them and they appear to give the benefit of the doubt to the guests despite whatever evidence we give them.  Is anyone else going through this?  For instance:

-young woman rented our home and advertised on social media for a party; 70 people came and she charged them a cover charge.  We submitted police reports and video surveillance.  Our damages and cleaning charges were covered but we were not allowed to assess "extra guest charges" which would have covered the gas, mileage and time my husband took to drive two hours to the property and spend all night cleaning and doing extra runs to the local dumpster.  We could only get reimbursed for a broken shower door, not even the scratches on the floors or dining table since we couldn't prove it was them.  So this girl got away with make over a $1000 and we could only charge for a broken shower door and that was it???

-a woman asked to have a small after party at the home after her wedding for no more than 20 guests.  She booked a year in advance before they gave us the option to put in house rules that there are video cameras outside for surveillance.  She invited 30+ guests.  We submitted video and photos of all the extra people and asked for reimbursement for the extra guests.  She disputed it and said she didn't know there were cameras on the property at the time of booking even though it has been in our house rules for months now and was included in the welcome email we sent her.  Now we have been "flagged" for not letting guests know about the cameras and a second similar complaint will result in our suspension.  HOW IS THAT FAIR??? Why are are we being held responsible for guests not reading!

I have many more examples of such ridiculousness.  Why are we as hosts treated with such bias and guests fawned over??

End of rant.  How are others handling such discrimnatory practices?

6 Replies 6
Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

I definitely think that there should be a change in the security deposit options for hosts -- It's my place and my security deposit amount that I set, so I want to reserve the right to access it if I need to repair my home after a disasterous guest. I should not be at the mercy of the guest agreeing to it or the company mediating it.

Perhaps they could offer a choice to hosts to 1)charge guests the security deposit up front and return it to them 24 hrs after check out, or 2) don't charge guests security deposit up front and allow mediation from airbnb.

The policy needs refinement, as it most definitely puts hosts at a significant disadvantage. Collect my security deposit up front please, and I'll return it to guests when they've left without incident.

one thing i might consider @Jess78 is to add the security deposit IN A SPECIAL OFFER.  that way its the same transaction (versus a seperate hold on the credit card), you get it at checkin, and you can refund it at checkout through the platform.  i screen so tightly that i don't end up with cuckoos (luckily there's going to be a first) this is what i do and would do if i ever had doubts.  

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Ernesto-and-Judy0
Level 2
California, United States

We have tried to do this as a work around and have been “warned”

that we are not allowed to collect any type of extra security deposit even through their platform. :::hard eye roll:::

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Ernesto-and-Judy0

It’s rotten this has happened to you and increasingly it is happening to many other hosts worldwide, that their homes are being trashed by such rogue guests.

There is a large element of trust in being an air bnb host regarding allowing strangers into your home, even more so when youvhost from afar and that is why I would NEVER rent my property without actually living onsite or very close by.

Unlike you the few  problems I have had with guests were resolved in a satisfactory manner by air bnb resolution centre.

My house rules are as clear and draconian as possible to discourage such guests as Id rather they took their rogue behaviour elsewhere.

Also your description of your property has to be correct AT THE TIME of booking to prevent some hosts changing their house rules, prices etc AFTER a guest has made a booking, and this is something that air bnb sticks by, so as hosts update your rules, prices etc when your property is vacant.

Another red flag for me is the special offer, I keep my price the same throughout the short season that I host, as I don’t want cheapskate bargain hunters as they really are the worst type of guest going.

I think you are very trusting and brave renting out your home from afar and quite frankly I’m always at home when I have guests staying to prevent the few but memorable guests who try and take advantage of your facilities.

The vast majority of guests are absolutely lovely but it is the small handful of entitled guests that are unforgettable and usually for all the wrong reasons.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

-

-

"I have many more examples of such ridiculousness.  Why are we as hosts treated with such bias and guests fawned over??"

It's because you run your business so poorly.

Leplubo0
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Ernesto & Judy:

I truly see this as an abusive position of airbnb towards hosts. I have too many stories they find each and every pretext to avoid covering the host for the damages or loss.
Here are some ideas:
1) Assuming you are also on competitive platforms: Increase your price on airbnb and reduce them on other platforms. You will progressively reduce dependence on airbnb. Also guests will end up noticing this.

2) Consider taking airbnb and the guest to small claims court. Hopefully when they got thousands of these cases they will become more reasonable