A Guests who lies on his review and ofends the host and owners

Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

A Guests who lies on his review and ofends the host and owners

I did ask about this case before but now the guest wrote a review that is not only false but he is insulting and completely twisted what happened. The owners want me to ask what to do because we have never hosted any one like this. No communication to start with and then when he finally responded all our messages he decided to respond outside the airbnb channel so he completely lied about the house description and basically most of it.

His completely negative review full of lies is public and we do not wish to ofend any one no matter what but this guy is incredible.

This is what he posted on the review after the review I wrote (my review basically said we couldn't write a fair review because he didn't stay):

"We booked on short notice and should have done more research. When we arrived we knew immediately that this was not where we wanted to spend our time. The house is under-furnished and awkward in design, one giant room with a small plastic table and a minimalist kitchen, and small dorm-like beds in an otherwise empty bedroom. It's more of a field house and less a vacation rental. Perfect for a group/school/field project outing but not for two people who want to relax, lie down, read a book, and hang out in and around the house. Since it was a sunk cost, we found somewhere else to stay. This apparently upset the host, who thought of this as us taking her key, when we had paid and rented the house and reserve the option of coming back if our plans fell through. Our displeasure with the house was taken personally by our host, which made the interaction difficult. In private email I found her negativity and assumptions surprising, such as hinting that she expected us to spend time with her as host, when nothing of the sort is agreed upon, assumed, or implied. By the end of the conversation I was being called disrespectful, which further surprised me since Dulce's choice of words was less than friendly. Further, in these emails I thanked her repeatedly for hosting, meeting us, and checking in on us later. I understand that she and the house owner were worried about our whereabouts, which I found unnecessary but also felt grateful for their concern (we were fine, of course). So this was a frustrating experience, and I can not recommend the house because the space has no soul and is aesthetically empty. As for Dulce, I would recommend contacting her before booking so that both parties can communicate effectively. I wasn't going to leave a review since we didn't stay at the house, but AirBnb insists that I write a review for Dulce in order to read what she wrote about me, which I assume is not positive. All of my other AirBnb experiences in CR have been wonderful."

Now the owners feel even more ofended and upset because of this guys review. He sent an e-mail full of lies that ofended me and the owners. He has no idea how worried the owners were after finding out that he didn't spend the night at the house.

He only sent one message with aribnb and we always use that channel to communicate or cell phones. He showed up with a girl and I showed him the key under the mat. He said that there was no gas at the gas station so I told him I was going to find out if the other gas station had the same problem. I went home called and went back to the house to let him know that there was gas at the other gas station. I gave him the directions to get there and they had a low regular vehicle not a 4x4 like we recommend. So without saying a word about the house or anyhthing he left to get gas and took the key and didn't come back again.

In our country we do our best to help visitors and that is why we even have a Tourist Police Department. This area is up in the mountains and a 4x4 is the ideal vehicle to get around. Because of the road conditions we have had accidents and some visitors had sadly died falling off clif edges because they don't know the road and how dangeroues it can be. So around midnight we called the police to find out if there had been an accident. We have a clinic only open on day time on week days and the nearest hospital is about 2 hours away. We all know that so when someone around here is late, even the public bus, everyone worries.

We tried every way we could to communicate with him and over 24 hours later he sent me an e-mail. He said the house was not what he expected so I said that he should have said something when he left since he didn't like the house. I have the e-mail he sent full of more lies and the onwers are nice humble people who felt amazed that after not sleeping because they were so worried about this couple, he didn't even care. On the contrary he became offensive, demanding and said so many lies about the house we couldn't believe it.

I do not own anything. I help the owners because I am bilingual and I became a naturalist guide and moved here long time ago so I know the area and like many locals we all know each other. Our guest actually went to stay at a place that belongs to our friends. I even work with one of them at the Quaker School. The place there is nothing like this one because this place is located in a private preserve and its surrounded by nature. The other place i by the road and has not much forest around it but any way he wrote a good review and other things about that other place.

The owners would like to get rid of that awful review because it is full of lies about the house and even though it is very offensive to me because all the twisted and wrong things he says about me, I can live with it because it is not true and all the other reviews completely contradict this guy's statements. Perhaps he is on medication or something, I really don't know how he can lie like that publicly.

Any how, we need advice. We are all christians here, not from the same denomination but believe in doing right even to those who do wrong to us. Though I am honestly ofended, hurt and upset, i gotta forget and forgive. The fact is that the owners don't deserve this at all. They are such a nice humble family and had never faced such an uncomfortable situation. I have work in tourism for 23 years and I can't say I had someone behaving so arrogant just because he feels he is better than this local family.

We met him at a local restaurant 48 hours after he took off with the key. He returned the key when we were not home two days after.

Help!!!!

Thank you for giving us this option to consult with experienced people.

Sincerely yours,

Dulce Wilson

8 Replies 8

That's very unfortunate @Juan11.

Although I haven't read throught the entire post, I understand what's happening here. Please get in touch with Airbnb regarding this and report your issue, hopefully they should be able to take it down. 

Hope ti works out 🙂

Jeet

Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

Thank you so much.

I will try to reach the airbnb office by phone tomorrow.

I hope this will finally work.

Have a great end of the week.

Sincerely yours,

Dulce Wilson

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

It's not exactly clear what the problem is. You state that the lies are public, but never said exactly what the lies are. Then you claim the lies were in a private e-mail (if so, then it's not a big deal since it's not public). Can you point to any specific statement in the review that is not true?

The main issue seems to be that you were somehow worried or offended that they did not stay the night. Did you make it clear that they were required to let you know when they were going and what time to expect their return? If not, how were they supposed to know that this was required? I don't see it in your house rules so if this is a local custom it should be made clear to guests.

It's not a particularly negative review, but is certainly a learning experience for both parties. The guest acknowledges that they made a mistake by not researching the place more. Hopefully, you can clarify the listing and/or provide more photos showing exactly what they are getting into, so future guests won't have undue expectations. If guests need to know that they need to check in with you and/or the local police when they are out and about, you'll want to let them know that as well.

The scenery around the area looks really beautiful, and it looks like you have some nice recent comments from others. I wouldn't be too concerned, just see it as an opportunity to improve.

Hello There:

His review says that the house was not what expected. If he read the description I have no idea what he was expecting that is not

on the description. In this review he says that there was a plastic table and that the house was underfurnished. It is not true at all.

There's no plastic table in the house. There is a beautiful wooden table for six. There is a comfortable large couch and two rooms and each has double beds and one has an extra single bed. The kitchen is larger than my apartment so I see no reason for lying about the conditions and description of the house. There is even a nice and expensive metal and wooden bench outside and a hammock. He went inside the place for less than 10 minutes and leaves saying he is going to get gas. I never told him or made him believe that I wnated or needed to spend time with them at all. I work so I have to find time around my three different jobs to be available for our guests if they need any help or assistance. The owner is also around and together he and I divide the time to make sure our visitors are fine. Some guests do spend time with me because they need information about the area or they may join a natural history walk where I am guiding but there is no reason for him to say that I wanted to spend time to meet with them.

Communication is another problem he clearly states that we have and if you search the airbnb page he only wrote once to ask for the house and then we tried to reach him and never answered through airbnb. His review ofended the owners and myself because he is lying about the whole situation. I didn't mention his e-mail outside airbnb or anything negative in his review because that happened even outside the proper airbnb channel. We didn't see any reason to do that because is like taking something our of contest and trying to tell the world about his behavior. We felt no need to make things worse but he obviously did.

I don't want to make matters worse and certianly the owners don't want to get anyone into trouble but we met him after that happened too and he acted in such arrogant way because in the "e-mail" he sent he was very clear that he could do anything he wanted because he paid for it and that he could take the key if he wanted to.

The issue at hand is his review that offends both the owners and I by using false statements. I have work with tourism for over 20 years and since I once was a tourists myself and have lived in so many places and countries I am not exactly afraid of the few people who come trying to place locals like low class servants just because he is from a wealthy country and he is paying a service in a poor country. Trust me, that can of actitute is offensive to me because it offends this nice Costa Rican family who own this place even when my genes are from England and Virginia.

Once he answered one of the messages and we knew he was OK, over 24 hours after, we had no clue as to what kind of person he was taking off like that with the key and never saying that he was not going to stay because the house was not what he expected.

Seem in that e-mail he gives more details of why the house was not good but everything he said there was awful and full of lies again. He said that they had no place to sit because there were only single beds and that there was only a large room and if we wanted him to sit on the floor. Since all these nonsense was not public and only the owners and I read it, we decided not to write a review based on his awful e-mail but on the fact that he didn't stay and so we had nothing to say.

Any how, I know where he went to stay because this is a small community and we all know eachother and most people are family.

So it is fine but it isn't polite to just leave and not say a word about any inconvenience righ then when he met me. Instead he gives us an awful review with lies and after all the owners went through to get the house ready for him and all, that is just unkind from him.

He states that they knew right away that the house was not right for them...........well common sense tells me he should have said something right then. He jus made me believe that he was coming back and they were just going to get gas. We trust our guests.

He says he should have done more research, there is nothing on the page that suggests that the house is as he describes.

He also says that the house has an awkard design, perhaps becuase is roomy due to the fact that we use it for people who use wheel chairs. I do not know hat he means by that so far everyone likes it because is roomy and has three bathrooms.

"dorm like beds" in an "other wise empty bedroom" the rooms have a double bed and a night stand so the bedrooms are not empty at all either. Then he goes on saying "Perfect for a group/school/field project outing but not for two people who want to relax, lie down, read a book, and hang out in and around the house." One of the reasons people like it here is because they can relax and have 60 acres of forest right around the house for themselves. If a hammock, two double beds, one single bed, a large couch a bench outside, 6 chairs in a nicely finished wooden house has no place for him and his girl to lie down, read a book and hang out I really have no idea what he was expecting. I specially don't get it because I know where he stayed at and there hardly any parking space there and here there is plenty of space in our parking lot.

Then he also said "This apparently upset the host, who thought of this as us taking her key, when we had paid and rented the house and reserve the option of coming back if our plans fell through."  He never mentioned there was any option about not coming back if his plans fell through and if he is staying somewhere else was it wrong to ask him to bring the key since he took it not planning to come back any way and didn't have the decency to say a word about it.

Then he mentions " hinting that she expected us to spend time with her as host, when nothing of the sort is agreed upon, assumed, or implied. By the end of the conversation I was being called disrespectful, which further surprised me since Dulce's choice of words was less than friendly. Further, in these emails I thanked her repeatedly for hosting, "

That is so not true but again I found out from the owners of the house he stayed at that he is a meteorologist.

Finally he states: " I understand that she and the house owner were worried about our whereabouts, which I found unnecessary but also felt grateful for their concern (we were fine, of course). So this was a frustrating experience, and I can not recommend the house because the space has no soul and is aesthetically empty. As for Dulce, I would recommend contacting her before booking so that both parties can communicate effectively."

If you say you will come and you don't it is common sense to think that something is wrong. Not all the tourists who visit the area leave fine and we don't want them to go through any trouble which seems all right to me. It was a frustrating experience for us, he acted like if all was under control and he had no reason to communicate any thing to us at all not even the fact that he was not even going to stay. The place has no soul....aesthetically empty???? and then communication......every guests so far has been so good at communicating and we do our best to be available for them during there trip over and while they are here too.

So any way.

I really am tired of even reading this guy's review and going over it again because it ofends me that he dared to say all that like if that doesn't matter. The owners are such nice humble people who don't deserve this kind of situation at all.

So any way, I will try to follow jeet's lead and call the airbnb local office to finally ask them what is the right thing to do.

Thanks for your help and have a great day.

Sincerely yours,

Dulce Wilson

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Dulce

I can see why you are upset by the review - if his description of what happened and the what he says about the property is false.

My understanding is that BNB will not allow either the host or the person being hosted to leave a review if the person hasn't stayed at the property.

Why not give BNB a call and see if you can have the review removed on the basis that they didn't stay at the property.

Best

Helen

Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

Hello Helen:

You have no idea how much better I feel after your comment.

We figured we shouldn't write a review because they didn't stay, no matter how we were treated outside the airbnb page and in person when we met them at a restaurant. I will make sure to try to call airbnb again 'till someone is available.

We know the negative review will not affect much because everyone else has been great so far but you never know and it is awful for the owners to have such review in any case.

Thank you and have a great and wonderful weekend.

Sincerely yours,

Dulce Wilson.

Jovanna0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I had a very vindictive and self-righteous male from turkey

who lied on his review

and everybody knew that he was a bully and non collaborative from the start.

even airbnb had to call to tell him to take the private room  then he pretends how does not know what it is.

plus he brought a sexual partner one night and then negated it since he did not want to pay 11.00

basically he just wants all his way and did not want to pay extra and abused of house rules 

so he tried to destroy my reputation ..

If he was so unhappy why did he stay home for????

airbnb does not want to listen to anything and does not care.. 

they pretend its a personality issue?? wake up !

i will send this viral on social media and expose this obsession on reviews even though they are lies!!!

they did not want to see the situation as a whole but just accepted the review because there was no extorsion? 

Gees are you ok?

are you human?

this obsession with sharing is sick and out of control ...and now the guests have the right to make you or break you?

review NEED TO BE TRUE!!!!! 

airbnb does not care about the truth they told me that on the phone and in writing.

Joanna

Lisa213
Level 2
Vashon, WA

It is so upsetting when guests lie.   My best advice is to confront the lies in the public review. With a positive

and upbeat professional attitude.  My one guestsaid one thing in her personal messages to me vs. the public

review.  I will be writing back to Air Bnb  with the differences in an numbered format.   She also said we talked,

never did which my phone record will show.  And my 3 phone calls to her will also show.  Lastly, I did call this

guest 3x (since I was in  California with my sick mom).    My daughter was staying at the home, but wasn't there

that night.  And the Some guests will do anythingto get a free stay.  These people are called Professional

Complainers.  You do have to  stand up to it so Air Bnb can red flag this type of guest.  If you are persistant

enough with True Facts ...Air Bnb will take the public review down.    I have guests like this before.  Do try to

get that review taken down.   Put it in an e-mal and talk to several case managers if need be.   On different days.