5 stars in all categories but 4 star stay?

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

5 stars in all categories but 4 star stay?

I don't understand how a guest can leave 5 stars in all categories, plus a lovely review, but it comes up as 4 stars.  Am I missing something?

58 Replies 58

@Colleen426  Ha- funny you picked up on the American vs. Canadian thing. I was born and raised in Kansas City, but left back in '67 when I graduated high school. Went to Israel and did the kibbutz thing for awhile, hooked up with a Vietnam draft dodger there and because he couldn't go back to the US, we ended up in Canada. That relationship didn't last long, but I ended up staying in Canada, where I lived for about 40 years. Just up the road from you, in Courtenay.  But yeah, now I live in Mexico, although I still come back for a few weeks in the summer- kids and grandkids up there.

That constantly saying you're sorry is a weird one for sure, that still cracks me up. Someone passes within half a meter of you in the Thrifty's aisle and says "Oh, sorry". As if they are intruding on your personal space. I always feel like asking, "What are you sorry for? Existing on the same planet?" 

Michelle571
Level 2
L'Estartit, Spain

So, I also got 5 star ratings for everything, a good written review and then a 4 star for overall...??? I thought wait a minute what's that all about (well, that was a polite version of what was actually said!!) So I Googled it and found this message thread... So 2022 the same thing is happening?? Airbnb haven't seemed to have listened to all your valid comments since 2019. Totally unfair. I like the previous suggestion that Airbnb should automatically ask "are you sure you want to leave a 4 star after giving 5 stars for everything"???

Hi.  Frustrating for sure.  I'm hoping with enough folks complaining about the review process, something will change.  When I got my super host status, I thought , now they'll listen and help me.  Nope.  Because of a honest mistake with my guest......nothing helped even when he contacted Airbnb and said it was his mistake.  Nothing.  So I took it to mean.....I need more info regarding reviews on my welcome page.  
We have the strictest trash, recycle and compost rules.  I almost got a bad review because of our city trash rules.  NOT MY FAULT.  I just tell guests that our trash is being monitored, so please follow the guidelines.  Unfortunately many don't read the house helper page or info when they arrive.   

I have looked back and these complaints on this thread have been since 2019, and Airbnb hasn't picked up on it yet, so it doesn't look likely they will! If it wasn't for "hosts", their company wouldn't exist!  But the "guests" definitely get the better end of the deal, I feel.

Yes, 💯 — or at least it should be an average of ALL categories. Why even include these if none of the previous categories are made public, and ONLY it’s the OVERALL that matters? 

Colleen426
Level 3
British Columbia, Canada

Yes !!!  That's a good thing to ask.  ARE YOU SURE???  Five everything........five for overall..  automatic.  After 5 for everything.......it should just automatically give us a 5 overall.  Period !!!

Elizabeth708
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

Ugh! Just happen to me!

All 5 stars then a 4 star overall.

Extremely frustrating. It takes six months of all five star reviews to earn back my status prior to this review. 
She private messaged me that my sofa wasn’t that  comfortable  and there isn’t a blind in the kitchen window.  I’ve never had a comment on the kitchen window before. My photos in my listing show the mid century sofa. I know you can’t please everyone but all the pluses have to exceed these minor complaints. I work extremely hard to exceed peoples expectations.
They stayed for four nights had friends come and visit and park in our driveway,   and they were able to store their incumbent bikes in our garage, we communicated throughout their stay, and they say they want to come back!

I think not!

recumbent bikes, lol, not incumbent, talk to text.

Hi,   Just checked out your suite.  Very cute and colourful.  Your couch looks more comfortable than mine.  But no complaints so far.  We don't have a kitchen window but we do have doors.  So I put up black-out curtains.  
colleen

I'm not sure what's worse.  A four star by accident or on purpose.  The couch and blind could have been a private message.  Ugh.  We had one couple come for the weekend.  Then their extended family arrived.  All day every day.  Nine people in my suite.  They all went to the beach.  Thank goodness the private message was used.  'We could have used more towels.'  There were six towels in the suite.  So something that you may not know.  Nothing is private on the Airbnb site.  Especially not private messages.  Airbnb wrote 'oh we're sorry you didn't have enough towels for your guests.'  WHAT ?.??   ENOUGH TOWELS ???  Hey why don't you invite the city to come over.  I'll go to Walmart and buy them out.  I even let her granddaughter use my paddle board.  Which is NOT for the Airbnb.  They brought it back filthy and just handed it to me.  'Here ya go'.  She stormed past me without even a nod let alone a thank you.  
it's all a bit frustrating now and then.  But better than a long term tenant that's a pain.......

It took a while to shake off the 4.  They even wrote Airbnb and told them it was a mistake.  Didn't help.

so .........  I feel your pain.  🫤

Oh.....those weren't the folks that left the four.  Just left a foul taste.  

Olga966
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Yep just happened to me. What's a real kick in the teeth is that the Guest is a Host herself, so she knows how important ratings are. I literally bent over backwards for them and went out of my way to help them out. As a result - nice words 5* in most categories, but 4* overall.... As it is a new listing it's going to be particularly painful. The rating system is ridiculous and needs an overhaul. The more I learn about Airbnb the more disappointed I feel as a Host in the lack of service and support from this platform.

Jun1325
Level 1
kbh, Denmark

Not everyone is sweet and kind in this world. Period. There are always someone wants to complaint here and there. It is just unlucky sometime meeting this kind of guest. but life goes on, nothing we can do about it. We should just keep doing our job to keep the place and nice and clean and don't think about and don't hope for top reviews from all the guests.

Drew3571
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Yes, 💯 — or at least it should be an average of ALL categories. Why even include these if none of the previous categories are made public, and ONLY it’s the OVERALL that matters?