1 guest booked, 2 arrive

Morgan7
Level 2
El Cerrito, CA

1 guest booked, 2 arrive

I've been a host in the bay area a number of years and now have a place in AZ. Recently I have had 2 bookings that booked for 1 guest but it was 2 that arrived. I've not thought, nor had to ask in the past, the number of guest. As well there's no extra fee for a 2nd guest.

This is a condo community, and access to my unit is a digital entry code. With this being a condo, I'm uncomfortable not knowing about all guest that are on the premise.

Can anyone share how they've handled this situation, when the guest has checked out. The last guest I private messaged, after departure, that airbnb host need to know about all guest during there stay.  She took it well and was very apologetic. This guy I'm not so sure, plus his partner is a smoker. Though she smoked outside, still I have a no smoking policy. 

Thank you!

14 Replies 14
Denise94
Level 1
Santa Barbara, CA

Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Dear Morgan,

Sorry to hear about your predicament.  I am really starting to get disturbed about the number of posts about rule breaking Guests.  I can only speak for myself when I say that (not knowing your entire situation) I would definitely talk to your Guest and make them aware that they have not only broken your rules but airbnb's rules and depending on the way they respond you can then decide whether or not to ask them to leave,  which is easier said than done.  It is a nasty position to be put in and one that should not go undocumented both with airbnb and in your review. 

The only way that we as Hosts can turn the tide of the frequency of rule breaking Guests it to make them accountable both through airbnb and in our reviews of them.  Hosts should not be bullied and taken advantage of under any circumstances.  Even if they give you a bad review, as long as you have not broken your own or airbnb's  rules and only communicated through the airbnb email platform it is much easier to keep Guests "in line."  They in all likelihood will give you at worst a lukewarm review or not at all for fear of having a negative review  posted about themselves.    Until Hosts start writing more honest reviews of Guests,  the problem of the huge number of Guests who neither read the rules  or think the rules don't apply to them will just continue to grow and grow. 

You definitely need to make airbnb know about this Guest.  I believe that good hardworking Hosts that will not be manipulated by their Guests  are the best deterrent towards reducing the number of bad behaviors by inconsiderate Guests. 

I hope this helps and you have a decent outcome.  Be sure and post the outcome.

Eloise at Happy Trails  

Thank you Eloise for responding. I'm very surprised that someone would book and not give the number of guest arriving. I would expect if these people were renting their homes or rooms, that they would feel the same about unknown guest arriving.

It was a short stay and I do intend to write him, in airbnbs private messaging, about his booking, and about the smoking rule.  There's also safety concerns, not only on the part of the guest, but as well other tenants in the building, if anything  were to come up. Thanks!

Hi Eloise

Couldn't agree more.....things are changing on airbnb, including trying to flag an issue with them, re extra guests, now all there is is a section demanding money.......only a few months ago you could raise other issues and just raise concerns...........We have a group here now who are breaking most of the rules we have in place.What do I do, Ok, I have to confront them....not easy! Essentially Airbnb are now different or better now than booking.com agh!!!!! 

Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

You need to think of this as a business and decide if the rule that was being broken is severe enough that you don't want this guest back (i.e it will cost you something).  Sometimes it can be biting of your nose to spite your face.  I just had a group that came that said they were 6 and they brought 7 (the place accomidates 8, but there is an extra charge of $50 per extra guest over 6).  I didn't call them out on it and they have already booked another stay.  In this case I say let them think they got one over on me, I  am putting more money in my pocket.

I did put a message in the review to AirBnB only stating that this guest had an extra person but was only doing it to document the situation so if it happens again they have a record.

It reminds me of the days when I was in marketing and I did a 10% off coupons to existing customers for the next 30 days. My CFO questioned me on what happens if they use the coupon 4 or 5 times and get 10% off each time.  I told him that if I can get a customer to repeat buy for only 10% off several times in the next 30 days I would be a hero.  He agreed.

Sometimes you let your guest get away with things, your running a business and it is harder to aquire a new customer than it is to get an existing customer to repeat.  Pick you battles based on your pocketbook.

I would point out that AirBnB should be doing a better job in developing a system for us hosts to market to existing customers.  It is painful to go through old archived messages and mail one by one existing guests.  When are they going to give us a marketing system to allow us to market to our past customers?

We host a lot of new airbnb members. They often forget to enter the correct number of guests. I alway confirm during inquiry that the number of guests is correct. One guest inquired for 1 person instead of 3. He had to cancel his inquiry and resubmit his request. I did not get the feeling he was deceiving me and used the opportunity to educate. Airbnb hosts have to overcome the hotel mindset. Each positive interaction promotes our business and the brand. Win win.
Charlene6
Level 2
Wellesley, MA

I think you are at fault here. You need to add a fee for a second guest.

Also in your house rules note that if they ask someone else to stay while there, they will be charged. In addition, I have house rules on the desk for them and this is highlighted in yellow: 

"If you want someone to stay the night who you haven’t booked for through Airbnb, please check with me first, if I agree, there is a $60 cash cost per night for that person."

You have to be explicit about what you expect or people will take advantage.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't ask for cash @Charlene6 As others have suggested just add a charge for a second guest to your listing and in your house rules so only those who have booked can stay.

For the host guarantee to be in place all guests need to be mentioned a least in the message thread or part of the reservation . This happened to me and I put it on the personal feedback review. 

Absolutely! I wrote in my review that he had booked as one, and two arrived. I also messaged him privately that this is not acceptable when making a reservation on airbnb. It's very interesting to read the variety of feedback. Thank you for the input.

Clare28
Level 1
Saint Agnes, United Kingdom

I have exactly the same problem now. Guest hooked for 1 but then her husband also turned up. I've asked them to alter reservation but they haven't, can't seem to find a way to contact air bnb about it either. Clare
Amy114
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have a reservation for 1 guest for 3 nights but 2 arrived (her mother ) , the fee for that is an extra 10 pounds a night . When confronted at the door , the guest pretended that she didnt know how the system works when apparently she is a host herself , also guest said she is coming from Sweden but turned out they are from Bolivia and I dont really know where exactly they are coming from . Guest then arrived much earlier than the agreed time and demanded for me to open the door , I kindly agreed even I didnt have to and the room was not ready , guest said she wanted just to leave suitcases , but went straight to sleep , slept for hours then left in the evening also left the radiator on with their socks on top , this is dangerous as the radiator is an old system and could start a fire so i had to remove the radiator from the room  . I am upset because of  the way they are trying to take advantage  and being dishonest as they are I am not completely happy having them around my house now anymore , I am fairly new to this and I dont know how to handle the situation , airbnb is based in trust and they have definately broken my trust with their actions  .

Hello Amy,

So sorry you are dealing with someone that believes they have any and all rights to do as they please. They don't.

Here is info on what you can do if someone has broken house rules or how they booked:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/259/what-should-i-do-if-i-m-uncomfortable-hosting-someone

If it's an instant booking:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work#1 

Sometimes you'll have to chalk it up as a lesson. I'm much more proactive when communicating with a guest, and double checking how many guest will are booking. When they confirm the number of guest in the message center, then there's proof in writing that the guest was trying to sneak someone in without paying.

All the best,

Morgan

Sky13
Level 10
United States

Since this is a TRUST and SAFETY issue, we must all ask Airbnb to improve the booking process. 

Please feel free to copy and paste the below content:

1. Please add an extra step in the booking process:

"How many guests are staying?"

This is a TRUST and SAFETY issue. The tiny 'number of guests' button is easily missed. Additionally, if a host has to bring this to the guest attention later, it's awkward at best, and sours the relationship at worst. Not to mention the time/money resources that must be spent by Airbnb and the host to settle the mistake.

2. Please add an extra step in the booking process:

"Is this a third party booking (for someone other than yourself ex. friend, or family)?

This is a TRUST and SAFETY issue. Additionally, if a host has to bring this to the guest attention later, it's awkward at best, and sours the relationship at worst. Not to mention the time/money resources that must be spent by Airbnb and the host to settle the mistake.