should guest pay for extra linen

Cheryl86
Level 1
Coaldale, Australia

should guest pay for extra linen

I reasently had a small family stay,2 adults 2 kids .... had beds made up for them no problem, but when i was doing the washing i found that they had used 2 extra sets of sheets. Should i be charging for extra linen used.

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cheryl86

That is something you need to agree up front with guests.

However, it seems like if you leave extra towels and linen around some guests will think they are for their use and will do so. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Cheryl86

I have about ten set of bed linen which I thought I would store in my apartment, then it dawn on me that it would become a free for all with guest changing bed linen at will and additional guest making themselves at home, One young lady suggested that my double beds should have two single duvets rather than one double duvet, while she trying to smuggle in a non-paying guests.

I get my laundry to make set for me comprising Duvet cover , Sheets and Pillow slips which they seal in separate plastic bags, this keeps them fresh and make it easy to manage supply it also helps with rotation.

1. Don't store your bed linen where a guest has access to it.

2. Put up a noticed saying bed linen will be changed after every after every 7 days of a 14 day or more continues stay.

3. A Change of bed linen on request will cost X amount (bed wetter, vomit etc.)

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Cheryl86 you can follow any policy you like if you clearly mention it to the guests before booking. 

I agree with the other hosts that extra linens, towels or whatever else you don't want the guests to use should not be accessible by them. It may not be their bad intention, but sometimes people get confused and they don't get the message so well. So, you can have a locked closet with all that stuff. 

My policy is the following:

- linens in bed and one extra set, if you stay more than 6 days
- One set of towels for each guest and one extra set, if you stay more than 4 days

I write that in my listing description and then, in my House Manual. So, it is clear enough. 

Now, what would I do if someone asked for more? 

If it was something reasonable (f.e. they want just one towel more), I would probably give them for free. 

If they asked for a whole set of towels and linens, I would simply say that I don't have more. 

If I ever decide to offer more linen, with a charge, I will include that in my description text, so that they are prepared. 

In this thread, you will find how to Contact Airbnb!

If you want to see my listings, here they are:

Diamond Home 1 [link removed]

Diamond Home 2 [link removed]

Diamond Penthouse [link removed]