What the Heck? How Do I Navigate this New CC?

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

What the Heck? How Do I Navigate this New CC?

I have been on the Community Center since its birth and let's just say, I have over 2000 posts and I believe this will be the first time I have ever asked a question, but here goes.  How do I navigate?

I see dates of posts from 2 months ago, and then one from 2 hours ago and then the next one is 3 weeks ago and so forth.  I feel I can no longer help people on here because it would take hours to find the news posts that are coming in.  Please @Clare, @Dede0, and all the other regulars, am I missing something?  I also use to be able to click on the "Hosting" tab and I would get all the posts from all the hosting categories.  

Am I alone here?  Believe me, I am one who actually embraces change but this just not make sense to me.  Can anyone please, please help me make sense of this?  It is the first time I have asked a question on here and I beg for your help!

David

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

6 Replies 6
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dave-and-Deb0

no, you're not alone. I couldn't believe it yesterday...

All those 20-something techies at ABB keep fixing stuff and just making it worse.

I've at least discovered that the old posts reappear at the top because a new comment has just been added.

I hadn't thought I'd miss the "level X" additions to names, but it often does seem to show more experience.

Mostly. Yesterday I saw names I hadn't noticed before, and some of the answers didn't always seem to reflect that much ABB experience. But then, it's an open forum and any kind of reply tip to be expected.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Dave-and-Deb0@Andrea9 -- Yeah, they've completely revamped the ordering scheme. I haven't fully figured out the logic involved. (And I hate to call it "logic".) But it sometimes seems as if it's inserting recent replies into the stream just after the comment they're replying to rather than at the end of the stream. Then other times it seems like the most recent reply comes in at the top of the stream rather than (as before) the end. I'm really not sure about either, though, because I can find seemingly contradictory examples. I think that part of the confusing appearance right now might have to do with them leaving the existing stream in the order it was, but then using some new ordering scheme for all new comments. And I haven't even addressed the way that new/old questions are mingled.

In any case, it *is* confusing and it *does* make it a lot harder to just pop in, help a bit, and then move on.

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Hi @Dede0@Dave-and-Deb0,

I'm sure Airbnb techies are more clever than that. As I see it, it's a personalized feed, which is presented to every single host, based on multiple variables like what kind of posts you read, how often and where do you click/tap, when you respond, et cetera. There is no apparent logic, however if you would see the structure behind it, I think it would be logical.

Wherever you go, there you are.

@Damir0 I'm fairly sure that the feed isn't personalized. That could be tested by a couple of hosts clicking around while talking by phone, but that seems like overkill. What I think we're seeing is a mix of the old, totally linear feed (newest comments on any given post always added to the end of the thread) and the newer insertion logic, which puts a new comment immediately follwing whichever previous comment (or original question) that the commenter is responding to. I think the logic, and the threads themselves will become clearer as time goes on and there are fewer "old" comments in each thread, relative to new comments.

I was looking for the Host Only thread/section yesterday and I couldn't find it anywhere.   My personal preference is to be able to have the forums sorted by topic (ok, they are somewhat, but the topics are kind of dumb) and then inside each topic by sub threads sorted by age.   I want to see the new posts and possibly contribute, as I'm pretty up to talking about whatever.   Then if I want to talk about or participate in a specific conversation like "best lockbox" I want to be able to search for that term and have relevant info come up.  I didn't bother with a search yesterday as I came in, saw this all looked so wonky, found one question of interest, answered it and left.

Go to Global Hosting Forum, it's so much easier