Room trashed

Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

Room trashed

I had a person stay with me for a month.  He was a student from China and had just finished his studies and needed a place to stay in between his apartment lease being up and his flight back to China.  I had a "wierd" feeling about the situation from the beginning, but I went ahead and accepted.  This was his second booking through AirBNB.  To make a long story short, he had no concept of personal boundaries -- going into areas that were off limits, using my personal belongings, taking furniture from the rest of the house for his room, dumping junk all over the house, not cleaning up after himself, etc.  I talked to him several times about boundaries to no avail.  I felt a bit bad for him because I really didn't think he had the resources to go anywhere else so I let him stay (should have had him removed).  Anyway, he checks out today and everyone one of the sheet sets in his room is either missing pieces or destroyed.  There is a huge hole in the mattress.  Towels are missing.  Rotten milk spilled on the carpets.  I pulled FOUR hefty bags of trash out of his room.  He literally just threw trash -- food included on the floor.  At one point, because he felt he needed a place to sit and work on the internet, he removed my granddaughter's child sized table and chair from the main part of the house and took it to his room and pretty much destroyed it by sitting on it and breaking it.  I even left town for a couple of days and during that time he went into the common area and ordered a bunch of movies on my cable account and even signed me up for Showtime through my Amazon Firestick!  One of the rules of the house is that if you stay longer than a week, I request the guests change their sheets.  When I nicely explained this to him, he said, "what?  there is no maid service?"  For $20 a day, no there is no maid service.  So it turns out now that rather than changing the sheets he just slept on the mattress and pillows with no bedsheets at all.  I am so disgusted.  I filed a claim.  I hope to get some sort of reimbursement.

16 Replies 16
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I hope you get your claim resolved in your favour - that's pretty disgusting...

Always trust your instincts and gut feeling - it's not worth the stress or hassle afterwards.

Good luck

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

YUCK!  How terrible!  Fingers crossed you get a positive resolution!

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Make sure you take and submit lots of pictures! It seems to be the only evidence Airbnb wants
C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

There's only one little statement in your story that makes any difference: "should have had him removed." Ya think, Julie? None of this EVER, EVER would have happened here. Because I already learned the hard lesson that NO good deed goes unpunished!! BEWARE of being a nice lady like you are--and simultaneously trying to be a landlord. I would have tossed him all the way back to China--with glee. Lesson learned, tho, right?

It was a tricky situation because I had another person staying for a month and even though they had never met, they became "besties" while staying at my home.  Kicking him out would have caused difficulty with the other guest as well.  Also, I have been doing room rentals for a long long time, and I really don't need the judgment.  It was my choice, and I would do the same again given the same circumstances.  And yes, I have kicked people out.  I had my reasons for not doing it this time.  

Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

I have had several guests stay for several weeks and I always insist that I change bedding and towels myself once a week.  I don't consider this to be 'maid service' it is an opportunity to make sure that everything in my space is being looked after.  I have never had a guest complain about having fresh bedding.

I would never leave a guest to get away with what you already realised was a problem.  I am sorry but you should have contacted airbnb and had them re-locate him elsewhere.  The first time you went into the room you would have seen how he lived and been able to do something about it.

I am sorry you had this horrible experience.

I am pretty sure he will lose privileges on the platform after AirBNB sees the pictures.

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

[Inappropriate Content Removed]

C c you are rude and of no help. I hope @Lizzie the admin sees this and removes you from this community.

that's my judgement

I think being responsible and taking care of business is always a worthy cause and if someone refuses to, why is that so praiseworthy? Why are helpless and hapless hosts coddled here?!

OOOOOOhhhhh I'm so curious to see what you wrote @C-C0, that got banned!   It must have been juicy 🙂

Trinity-And-Cristina0
Level 4
Prague, Czech Republic

wow that sounds unfortunate, I am sorry for your experience 😞

Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

Update:  To clarify, I have four dogs.  It is clearly stated in my ad that I have four dogs (small dogs, 2 shih tzus, a peke a poo, and a chihuahua).  I also have a separate kennel for them where they stay when I am not at home.  In fact, I am so obsessive about them not making a mess in the house, that when I am home and they are in the house with me, they wear doggie diapers.  At the most, they might be in the house with me for 2-3 hours in the evening, and at night they sleep in my room.  On the weekends, if I am at home, they are usually hanging around the house with me.  That said, I state several times in my ad that the kennel is off limits to guests.  In my home, my bedroom, my bathroom, the garage, the backyard and the kennel are off limits and it is clearly marked throughout the ad.  As per the kennel, because it "is" a kennel accidents happen in there from time to time, which is WHY they are confined there.  It's a big area, so don't feel bad for them.  The kennel is about 20'x20'.  Anyway, the dogs sometimes get excited or stressed and they make messes.  That is why I have a kennel!  The kennel is actually air conditioned and has fans circulating the air out.  It gets hosed down at least once a day and more if needed.  It also gets bleached and powerwashed once a week.  They have a lot of old blankets as bedding and I am constantly washing the bedding to keep it clean and nice in there.  But ACCIDENTS happen.  This guest was caught in the kennel early in his stay (because I found the door open and unlocked which is a big issue because the dogs could escape) and I told him in no uncertain terms that was an "off limits" area and not to do it again.  So yesterday, after he got notice of my claim he wrote a response on his site claiming my house was full of dog crap and pee and that I was crazy and racist toward Asians.  He posted a picture taken from the INSIDE of the kennel after an accident had happened implying that the picture was taken inside the home.  I obviously wasn't at home or the accident would have been cleaned and hosed down.  And again, the kennel area was off limits, yet he went in there to take pictures.  Again, this is a KENNEL.  Dogs are in there.  It is clearly marked as off limits.  It is not part of the house.  I specifically have this kennel so the dogs will not bother guests.  So he then posts this picture of dog poo as his profile picture on AirBNB.  Seriously, if you look at his picture, it's a picture of dog crap.  Yeah, like that is going to impress future hosts.  He was told that area was Off Limits several times.  I have emails reiterating this issue.   Keep in mind, that was not the first time he went into unauthorized areas.  He also used my shower (at least once), went into my bedroom and took/borrowed one of my cameras without my permission.  I have a feeling he was planning to nick it, but I did get it back missing the lens cap.  

As per being racist, I never ever ever behaved or did anything racially inappropriate to him.  In fact he once got very condescending toward me because I did not anything about Chinese Communism and the political climate in China and implied I was stupid.  It's all I can do to keep up with our U.S. politics!

Hopefully, AirBNB will handle this.  They said, right now, I need to seek to resolve the situation with him to get reimbursed for damages and missing items.  

I am thinking I am going to have to put a padlock on the kennel so NO ONE can enter it without a key.  Which really realy sucks.  

Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

What the room looks like when guests arrive.  
bed.jpg

01515_36Vtna37Wt5_600x450.jpgbed.jpg

How he left it.   Garbage and trash everywhere.  Rotten food on the furniture and floor.  

14238144_10154631007737859_3528508060045493708_n.jpg14344308_10154631007467859_6558411118706127892_n.jpg14264050_10154631009547859_7494149294121205803_n.jpg14355793_10154631006282859_1822556008214024066_n.jpg