security deposits

Jim93
Level 1
The Villages, FL

security deposits

How much should a security deposit be?  I have a 3 bedroom condo that I am going to be renting for Notre Dame Football games.  I am far enough away that I should not be getting students.  Is $300 enough or should I go $500?  I know these are just CC holds but does that put off potential renters?

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jim93 Your listing is lovely!  I reviewed the whole listing and have some thoughts to share about your listing.

1.  Since you asked about Security Deposit, I think $500 is minimal for a whole house.  As Air BNB does not debit the unless there is a claim, I think a higher SD sends a signal to potential guests that you value your home and expect them to do so as well.

2.  You are remote and while you have a local contact, you may find guests either through ignorance or on purpose will not follow your rules.  No smoking and no under age 25 guests may be the most often violated.  

3.  You state your place accommodates six people but you do not show where six people will sleep or mention additional sleeping options such as air bed or couch.

I suggest you follow the discussion threads here in the host forum as the best education about this business.