New laws in Japan

Michael363
Level 1
Hong Kong

New laws in Japan

Hi All,

After trying to book a place in Toyko (successfully) the Host wrote back to say that Air BnB is now illegal and refunded by purchase. I read a bit online and there does seem to be laws coming in to might affect the short term renter. What is the current situtation and what are people experiencing? Should i try to book another place through AirBnB in the hope that the host is willing to takes on the risk or book a regular hotel?

FTI - I travel August 19th. 

Thanks,

Michael  

8 Replies 8
Harvey0
Level 4
Nagoya, Japan

Hi Michael,

I host in Nagoya. It is basically true that it is not legal. However, it is also not being enforced to any great extent. The laws have been changed to allow Airbnb-type rentals, but you have to get registered and that is only possible in a few places that have enacted local laws.

It applies to all rentals but there will be more changes to homestay-type rentals. The law will likely be loosened in those cases where the owner lives in the unit. So you can also say that homestay-type rentals are not really covered by the law yet. This is important because it would basically make all homestay programs for schools and universities illegal, too!

Anyway, I am still open until I here more about the laws. I have even been to my local ward office and they said they hadn't heard about anything even in the planning stages for registerinig in Nagoya. It is just my opinion that you should avoid anyone who has many properties listed anyway, since it is a business to them and are not doing it out of any sense of community or helping people.

Harvey

Karen-Sue0
Level 2
Las Piñas, Philippines

Hey @Michael363, how did your trip go? Did you book another AirBnB property?

I am likewise going on a trip to Tokyo this May with my husband. I've already booked and paid for an AirBnB property before coming across articles regarding AirBnB issues in Japan. My last couple of messages to my host have gone unanswered when it took him just a few minutes to an hour to reply to me at the onset so I guess I'm a tad concerned if something's up. 😐

Nadia113
Level 1
Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Indonesia

Hi @Karen-Sue0 , did your host reply your message? I will go to Osaka this April, I've already booked and paid as well. I just heard about the issues, what should we do now? My host still not replying my message also. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Nadia113

If your host isn't replying to your messages, then give Airbnb a call and see if they can help you reach your host. 

Karen-Sue0
Level 2
Las Piñas, Philippines

Hi @Nadia113. Yes, my host already replied to my last inquiries (related to transportation). I haven't brought up the legal question with him though. But anyway, I've been reading and checking other forums as well. Travelers staying at Airbnb properties in Japan haven't had problems. It's even mentioned that you SHOULD say you're staying at an Airbnb palce if the immigration officer asks and avoid the tired "staying with a friend" line.

The host should have other contact options listed. Have you tried calling/messaging him/her another way? If your host still doesn't reply after you've tried everything, visit Airbnb's contact page (go to help/contact_us and try options related to "issues with host"). After poking around the options for a long while (I think it was option like "I need help with something else"), I was able to type a message to Airbnb. However, don't expect them to reply soon. Seems their customer service is loaded. I got a reply around one week after I messaged them. But at least, their customer service exists. Other users say that they respond faster on social media (Twitter and Facebook).

Nadia113
Level 1
Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Indonesia

Hi @Karen-Sue0 & @Helen3, thank you for your help. So after 2 days, my host finally replied my message. She said that we can't stay at her place because her building owner prohibited her. An hour later, I got email from airbnb that my reservation has been cancelled and they offered to book another place using the money I already paid or full refund. Of course I choose full refund. What a bad experience and I'm afraid that it will be the same if I book another place on airbnb. I booked since last November, and now it's just a month until my trip, I wonder if I didn't contact my host in the first place, will she inform us? 😞

Leslie108
Level 1
New York, NY

We just booked an apartment in Kyoto and when we got the booklet with the house rules it stated: 

"6. If someone in the apartment complex asks you which apartment (room number) you are staying in, please tell them that you are staying at your acquaintance’s apartment."

When I contacted the host, who is a manager and not an owner, the reply was: " In all apartment in Kyoto, you can't stay without making a contract. Not only this but also all other one are .illegal. But if you are concerned with me, it is ok. Please consider if you stay with this." 

I'm not too clear what that response actually means. My concern is that this apartment might be removed from the rental market and our reservation will be cancelled. If that happens, we'll have to scramble for another place, and most likely pay a lot more, if we can even find one as nice. So my question is does anyone have some advice about continuting with this rental? What are the regulations in Kyoto? How likely will it be that there will be some action taken against AirBnB rentals between now and September, when we will be there? 

I started hosting and listed my unit last week. I own the place so I think no problem. The government approved airbnb but will limit it to 180 days a year and also would need approval from the owner. So yes, i think if they become strict a lot of the airbnb in Japan will close.