New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

212 Replies 212
Michael8768
Level 2
Stratford, CT

The title of this post suggests dissatisfaction or disagreement with the recently implemented security camera policy. It implies the policy to be unfair, impractical, or overly strict (i.e. imposes unnecessary restrictions or fails to adequately address certain concerns)

First as hosts, in my opinion we all want Airbnb to be very successful. Thus, I am very receptive to this overbearing change, but I am disappointed they are not working towards an exception policy or a working with hosts on their potential needs.

I installed a camera in an equipment/utility closet for environmental monitoring. Specifically, the closet where the water main shutoff valve, sump pump and a generator switch are installed. The camera gave additional tool for assessment of house security during and after storms. This camera was documented in the listing for this purpose. It cannot detect sounds outside of the closet unless someone is yelling loud enough to go through a wall, you would get muffled sounds or you hear the sump pump or water high level alarms going off. Also the camera software by wyse detects fire alarms and sends an alert the fire alarms were tripped.

I am primarily disappointed by the repeated interactions with support personnel who fail to provide their name, department, or a means of contacting the previous representative. I kept a log over 25 conversations with almost a different person on each conversation, 50% didn't leave a unique name, they claim to be in all different departments, they tell me they are escalating to other departments and then come back and tell me the rules are the rules (not those exact words, but essentially what they are saying.) There is NO EXCEPTION policies and no way to discuss with anyone your potential needs or potential options to have such environmental monitoring. Giving them pictures of the installation, any proofs of what I stated above, discussing how if the property was a multifamily unit and the equipment closet was outside of the "listing" seems completely ignored.

My belief is the support teams are not empowered to go outside of the rules, escalate to a team capable of considering exceptions... they are just powerless. I am removing the camera until I can actually discuss my needs and concerns with someone of any authority who can provide a meaningful resolution or address my situation appropriately. It's disheartening and frustrating to encounter such a lack of flexibility and understanding in the way support handles legitimate host concerns.

In my past decades of career what I have learnt from my seniors or is universally known that any organisation is managed and run by it's resources and for Airbnb it is the hosts and Not The Guests. If there are no hosts worldwide, how will they have source of income which in my opinion is the major chunk. And surprisingly inspite of so much of hue and cry no review of the unreasonable policy is being done. Are there no gentle thinkers? No focus on the grave issue. Hope wisdom prevails on Airbnb. Thanks 

I will no longer have guests from Airbnb starting this month on the 28th. My safety and peace of mind comes 1st.

If we all delist on April 30 it would demonstrate an act of solidarity

I have a few days ago tapped the CEO of Airbnb on X (Twitter) and on LinkedIn too appealing him to review the policy as there is a lot of resentment in the host community. I mentioned that the Airbnb is by the host and not the guest. So it needs to be viewed very seriously also because there would have hardly been any complaints from the guests on this account rather host have had many encounters of guest behaviour and follow of house rules etc. But alas there is no comeback from him. I suggest all to write to him and appeal for policy review. His Twitter handle is @bchesky. Thanks

I have for 10 days to start with and wait for the response

I wonder if you can put a padlock on the closet.  If guests do not have access to it, I don't think the interior camera counts.

ISami0
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

I am with airbnb on this one! I don't use an indoor camera and I wouldn't want an indoor camera if I was renting an airbnb.  But I have new at this (2 years) maybe I don't it.

Are you a home share host? Or do you list your entire space on Airbnb?

Home share, only 2 rooms

Hmm, I only see entire homes listed on your profile. 

My listing titles say "Cozy Room" and "Spacious Room". Maybe cover image looks same.

I was replying to ! Sam

Filippo489
Level 2
Bologna, Italy

Please everyone delist your propriety immeditely and write a feedback to airbnb about this. We need to do something about this. I delisted my 6 listings after 11 years as a super host, but already have reservations I have to abide after the 30th of April and I'm not taking my camera off.

I appreciate the concept (I’m the one who started this thread), but I think it might have greater impact if we all wait and de-list on April 30.