New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

203 Replies 203

Please fill out the feedback link provided in this thread. 

Pasha6
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Rushed decision without thinking it through or consulting stakeholders. Our condo building has had multiple instances involving fake or purchased accounts booking for prostitution or drug trade. I have had my own experience with my unit and had it not been for the camera, not sure what would have happened with my unit. Without security measures there would surely be an increase of said incidents and I can see the condo board banning Airbnb for the building. We're already on thin ice. The other concept is I have no way to place my camera outside the unit, it points only at the door, and the kicker - I have not had a single guest complain! Wild decision. 

Right. Since today messages from AirBnB have started flashing regarding its change in the policy and asking to remove cameras before 30th April. No realization on what the hosts around the world are saying. This is strange on their part. Not like me and you, hosts who have been into AirBnB for long years are also shaken with this insecure change. If there are 100 reasons to have them, I have hardly noticed a case reported for privacy breach. Even if there are one or two, what %age it matters. AirBnB should come forward and listen to what hosts are wanting and not just adopt to one sided parameters and I hope they would. Thanks

I messaged Airbnb and this was their reply. We should all message the Airbnb team. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

It looks like the conversation was redacted.  Would you mind sending it to me personally **

**[Sensitive information removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines]

Jason1751
Level 2
Bourne, MA

This Policy just made good hosts into bad ones 

Astri513
Level 2
Bodø, Norway

I agree. This is totally stupid. I rent out a room in a condo that I own and live in myself.  I have an alarm system with cameras facing towards the entrance and patio doors, as a part of the alarm system. Even I don't have access to the cameras, they are operated by the alarm company and only send them still photos in case of fire or an intruder. They will then send out police, fire fighters, ambulances or check out the place themselves, depending of the situation. As a single woman living by myself, I have installed this system not to check what the guests do, but to protect me from fire, burglars and other intruders (have had a couple of stalkers).

I contacted Airbnb, and they even called me to explain that I have to remove them. I tried to explain to them that these cameras are operated by the alarm company,not me, but that didn’t help. Then I asked them directly: "So you really think that I should die in a fire in my own home, just to make the five guests that I have per year feel safe?" 

They promised to come back to me with more information, but I haven’t really heard anything. I will definitely delist the place after my last guest in June, a booking done before the new policy that Airbnb said that I didn’t need to cancel.

We have exactly the same situation. if airbnb commits to adhering to such strict policy, then they should also commit to covering all potential losses/damages resulting from the removal of a security camera, including the period when the space is not used for airbnb guests. otherwise, it is an Overlord Clause. We also plan to delist our rooms.

Can I quote you in my press release

I am planning to write a press release.  Can I quote you in the press release.

Sergio1816
Level 2
San Fernando, Spain

Todos los que opinan que no alquilarían una estancia con cámaras, se nota que nunca han sido anfitriones de un alojamiento por HABITACIONES. No es la primera vez que te encuentras al huésped hurgando entre tus cosas, poniéndose tus zapatos o simplemente rompiendo algo. Solo pensáis en alojamientos completos. Os recuerdo que muchos de los anuncios de airbnb es por habitaciones y está policía es abusiva y vulnera la seguridad del anfitrión. Airbnb no se hace responsable de los robos!!

Filippo489
Level 2
Bologna, Italy

This rule is totally unfair. I have rent 6 rooms (with 6 listings) that I rent in my guesthouse that I manage like a small hotel. The indoor camera is at the bottom of the stairs in a shared space area and it helps managing my propriety and make me feel safe when I'm not there. This is clearly stated and there are even signs pointing at the camera, nobody ever complained about this. Now I had to remove my listings after 11 years of working with airbnb and being a superhost, but still I have to respect the reservations I already accepted after the 30th of April, cause airbnb refuse to delete them. I'm not removing my camera but if the guests complains about it I might incur in some problems. This is totally unfair, is there a petition or something we can sign to oppose this? Meanwhile I'll keep on working with booking.com which is better and a lot more professional.

If we all delist on April 30 it would demonstrate an act of solidarity.

Johannes103
Level 2
Gansbaai, South Africa

I send airbnb message thus regard. My indoor cameras are in PUBLIC SHARED SPACES Re: lounge. Bar. Hallway,

Frontdoor, Dinning area. With this law they say. "After consulting the issue telephonicley "

They must differentiate between. IN DOOR PRIVATE spaces and INDOOR PUBLIC SHARE areas.

They will comeback to me. But it seems decision have been made without brainstorming. 

If it does not change they can delist me. Hopefully they will look at this again..

In my country if it is not secure or nailed down stuff dissapeared. 

Michael8768
Level 2
Stratford, CT

The title of this post suggests dissatisfaction or disagreement with the recently implemented security camera policy. It implies the policy to be unfair, impractical, or overly strict (i.e. imposes unnecessary restrictions or fails to adequately address certain concerns)

First as hosts, in my opinion we all want Airbnb to be very successful. Thus, I am very receptive to this overbearing change, but I am disappointed they are not working towards an exception policy or a working with hosts on their potential needs.

I installed a camera in an equipment/utility closet for environmental monitoring. Specifically, the closet where the water main shutoff valve, sump pump and a generator switch are installed. The camera gave additional tool for assessment of house security during and after storms. This camera was documented in the listing for this purpose. It cannot detect sounds outside of the closet unless someone is yelling loud enough to go through a wall, you would get muffled sounds or you hear the sump pump or water high level alarms going off. Also the camera software by wyse detects fire alarms and sends an alert the fire alarms were tripped.

I am primarily disappointed by the repeated interactions with support personnel who fail to provide their name, department, or a means of contacting the previous representative. I kept a log over 25 conversations with almost a different person on each conversation, 50% didn't leave a unique name, they claim to be in all different departments, they tell me they are escalating to other departments and then come back and tell me the rules are the rules (not those exact words, but essentially what they are saying.) There is NO EXCEPTION policies and no way to discuss with anyone your potential needs or potential options to have such environmental monitoring. Giving them pictures of the installation, any proofs of what I stated above, discussing how if the property was a multifamily unit and the equipment closet was outside of the "listing" seems completely ignored.

My belief is the support teams are not empowered to go outside of the rules, escalate to a team capable of considering exceptions... they are just powerless. I am removing the camera until I can actually discuss my needs and concerns with someone of any authority who can provide a meaningful resolution or address my situation appropriately. It's disheartening and frustrating to encounter such a lack of flexibility and understanding in the way support handles legitimate host concerns.