Host Stories Contest 2016! *Now Closed*

Stories
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

Host Stories Contest 2016! *Now Closed*

[Updated] Launched back in November at Airbnb Open 2016, the Host Stories Contest is now closed. Thank you for all your amazing submissions, we look forward to announcing the winners soon!

To view the Contest overview see below: 

DETAILS

Share your story starting November 17, 2016. The contest deadline for submissions will be December 16th, 2016.

Submit stories or read stories. Learn more about the contest rules attached. Stories must have a minimum of 200 words and must contain a title.

*Updated: If possible, please include two photos with your entry (this is not a requirement for submission).

PRIZES

One 1st prize of $12,000 USD

One 2nd prize of $8,000 USD

One 3rd prize of $5,000 USD

SELECTING WINNERS

Winners will be selected based on the originality and creativity of the story submitted as well as the spirit of the submission in the way it relates to hospitality, social impact and experiences on Airbnb?

NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.  Open only to attendees, 18 or older, registered as a host user of Airbnb at the time of participation.  Skill contest.  Judges’ decisions determine winners.  Entry deadline 11:59:59 p.m. San Francisco time on 12/16/2016.  Submitted stories may be used by Airbnb for promotional purposes.  Additional terms apply.   See Official Rules below.

FAQs

Q: How many times can I submit a story?

A:  Please only submit one story.

Q: Can I edit my story submission?

A: You may not edit your story after submission.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of photos I can upload or video link submissions?

A: Not at this time. We look forward to what you have to share!

Still have questions? Feel free to post your questions in this thread and we will try to get them answered as soon as we can!

For full rules, see contest rules attached below.

Good luck!

172 Replies 172
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

The countdown has begun. Only 1 week to go, to get your stories in for the contest...

Thank you to those who have already submitted your story. For those of you haven't yet, we would love to see a few more and there is still plenty of time to select your favorite one from your year.

If you are struggling to get your creative juices flowing, take a look at the lovely 2015 winning stories, by @Chad2@Megumi and @Stephen0 in the Stories board. 

Also just to clarify, this contest is open to all hosts, so you can still submit an story even if you weren't at the Airbnb Open. 🙂

If you have questions regarding this, feel free to post them here and I will be happy to help.

Enjoy! 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

The only problem is that you want a minimum of two photos, I have plenty of stories but never take any pics of guests. That takes some forward planning! So I have to keep my stories under my (unphotographed) hat.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sandra126,

I have just checked with the Stories team about this and although it would be fantastic to have two photos if possible, they are willing to accept entries without this as the main focus of the contest is the story. As a result the two photo requirement will now be a nice-to-have instead of a set requirement. You will see that I have just updated the text in the original post to reflect this. 

I hope this helps and good luck with your story. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Barry27
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Lizzie,

I assume that on page 3 of your story rules PDF doc that January 2015 should read 2017? Or did the award for the 2016 story get awarded before they were written?!

Best.

Baz

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Barry27,

Oo good spot. I think it is safe to assume, this it meant to say 2017. No time machines will be used here! 🙂 

Have you submitted an story yet? 

Thanks so much for spotting this and I will highlight it to the team. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Lizzie,

I am working on my story but don't see an option for posting photos - just for a youtube video. How do you want the photos submitted?

The PDF with contest rules has a link that does not work. I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything as I get ready to submit my story for the contest.

Thanks!

Irene - Panama Host

Hi - just figured out how to post the photos. It's easy!

Also - I submitted my story but don't know if you got it. It said "Authentification Failed." I hope it all went through. Can you let me know? If not, I'll re-try.

Thanks.

The first time I submitted my story and photos it also said authenication failed, so I did it again and it said it went through.

Hello,

I am trying to see how to join the 2 photos but I still haven't find the trick... Any help?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Delphine76,

Lovely to meet you. 

In the tool bar above the text box will display a little camera icon, which will enable you to upload your choosen images:

Camera

If this is not displaying, it is likely there is a login issue as this has been the problem other hosts have been having here. Once in the form, I would recommend checking the top right-hand corner of the page and possibly log in and out of the Community Center. Your name and image should appear there when logged in. 

If you have further issues with this, just let me know and as a last resort you could post it here and I will move it across. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Delphine76
Level 2
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Thank you so much Lizzie!!! Now I see the little camera. What I am not sure about is how to submit my story... Do I have to insert a link or I just write it in the "big discussion box"??? It sounds like a stupid question but when I copied my word text there it just appeared one line so I wondered if it was ok or not... Thank you for your help!!! Delphine

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Good to hear @Delphine76. Please include the actual text, not a link to the text in your submission. I imagine if it is appearing in one line, it is a formatting issue from copying and pasting it into the box. You could try removing the formating, but if not I am sure it will still be fine when you submit it so I wouldn't worry too much. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Lizzie, thanks for explaining how to upload the photos!   Very helpful, as we couldn't see how to do it initially.

Laura and Bob  (Westchester County NY host)

Lizzie,

I just submitted my story and photos. Not sure if it went through. Can you let me know?