What to provide?

Fiona917
Level 2
Bicheno, Australia

What to provide?

Just a quick question, I provide multiple different tea, sugar, hot chocolate and I have a breville espresso coffee machine and provide ground coffee.  I have just had a guest in and left feedback that maybe I should consider providing instant coffee, what are people’s thoughts?? Also should I be providing milk?  I’m very new at this so I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks 😊

16 Replies 16
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Fiona917 ,

Absolutely! I make sure to provide everything you've mentioned, including Nescafé (as some guests prefer it over the Nespresso capsules I provide), along with olive oil, cooking oil, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Additionally, I leave a big bottle of water and a small long-life milk as a starter kit. I understand that after a long trip, guests don't want to rush to the grocery store right away. It's crucial that any drinkable liquids like water and milk are sealed and unused before.

Occasionally, I include seasonal fruits, and always bananas: nutritious and visually appealing. Guests prefer fruits with skins (not apples).

To truly impress guests, consider adding something locally made, like chocolate, sweets, or cookies, especially for foreign guests arriving directly from the airport. As the first person they encounter besides the taxi driver, this gesture is memorable.

emphasis that by this you are supporting also local businesses. 

In my case, I offer an exceptional local bottle of wine and direct them to my house manual for further reading about the local wine production.

Hosting has endless possibilities; you can tailor it to your preferences. For the right guests, every thoughtful detail will be appreciated and reflected in their reviews.

Happy hosting!

@Guy991 Thanks for your help and advice, just hard to know what to supply when first starting, I do also supply still bottle water and sparkling.  I also supply a bag of chocolates as when I am away I always like a treat.  I supply washing detergent and fabric softener, toiletries and multiple other home away from home items.  Its just hard to know how far to go.  

Britta water system 

$40 is perfect they can keep refilling and you don’t have to leave plastic bottles 

Judith872
Level 2
Boyds, MD

Hi @Fiona917 

It sounds like you are providing all good stuff but always be open to a guest’s recommendation.  If one guest recommends something be added or altered and if it sounds reasonable to you, chances are other guests may also appreciate the added provision.  Some of my best advice came from guests.  
As a general rule of thumb, I aim to make my space a home away from home so all the amenities I have at home are available to my guests.  They truly appreciate the little extras like a variety of fresh fruits, coffees, instant or brewed.  The more variety, the better.

@Judith872 Thanks for your help and advice, just hard to know what to supply when first starting, I do also supply still bottle water and sparkling.  I also supply a bag of chocolates as when I am away I always like a treat.  I supply washing detergent and fabric softener, toiletries and multiple other home away from home items.  Its just hard to know how far to go.  I will get there eventually, I am only about 2 months in.  

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Fiona917 I provide several different types of ground coffee, including decaf, as well as a variety of teas, long-life creamers, sugar, honey, etc. 

I also provide basic cooking ingredients like oil and spices, as well as non-stick cooking spray.  

Unlike some others, I don't feel the need to lavish guests with gifts. The guests and I have a business agreement, and I have fulfilled my part by delivering my property as promised. 

Good hospitality covers the basics: a property that's clean, comfortable, all things functioning, and all amenities in place. 

I'm not going to spend my profit on gifts for people I don't know, and don't necessarily care about. 

I do do things for repeat guests, as generally we have become friendly and genuinely like each other, but that's by choice, not because I feel some obligation. 

You'll work out your own system and preferences, but you should not feel the need to buy and stock many of the things mentioned by other responders here. 

The thing about instant coffee? That guy could have brought his own. It's really, really easy to transport and hardly weighs anything. 

Thanks for your help and advice, just hard to know what to supply when first starting, I do also supply still bottle water and sparkling.  I also supply a bag of chocolates as when I am away I always like a treat.  I supply washing detergent and fabric softener, toiletries and multiple other home away from home items.  Its just hard to know how far to go.  I guess I will just take the suggestions on board and see how it goes.  Its all a learning curve I suppose and I'm only new in the game.  Thanks

Thanks for your help and advice, just hard to know what to supply when first starting, I do also supply still bottle water and sparkling.  I also supply a bag of chocolates as when I am away I always like a treat.  I supply washing detergent and fabric softener, toiletries and multiple other home away from home items.  Its just hard to know how far to go.  I supply 6 different teas, hot chocolate and ground coffee, I thought I had most things covered, but obviously there is always room for improvement.  Thanks

@Fiona917. Fiona, sounds like you are doing great. Instant coffee is hardly used by my guests so I have the individual seal pack Nescafe varieties that take longer to go off, as well as a Pod machine. As we have plenty of local options, guests seem to like to head out for their morning coffee fix as well though. I am guessing your male guest expected a motel like experience of bad (International Roast) coffee options 😉

I'd have fresh milk in fridge 1L full cream plus some small milk long life tetra packs in the pantry. Some guests turn up later and local shops are shut. The organised ones will bring their own stuff which could be lactose free etc so not worth sweating too much.

Just always ask at beginning of booking if there is anything special they need.

And chocolates... goes without saying..

@Frances3408 Thanks for your help and advice, just hard to know what to supply when first starting, I do also supply still bottle water and sparkling.  I also supply a bag of chocolates as when I am away I always like a treat.  I supply washing detergent and fabric softener, toiletries and multiple other home away from home items.  Its just hard to know how far to go.  I supply 6 different teas, hot chocolate and ground coffee, I thought I had most things covered, but obviously there is always room for improvement.  I will look into getting instant coffee, for now I will put in a couple of instant sachets incase they do no prefer the ground coffee.  

Davina50
Level 2
Alameda, CA

I have been hosting for 4 years. 
guest will suggest everything. 
you are going over and beyond already . 

keep it simple. 

Muhammet14
Level 1
İstanbul, Türkiye

When you come to turkey try to natural turkish coffe 

Jacqueline1460
Level 1
Fincham, United Kingdom

Hi Fiona,

Hope all is well with you.

I am also fairly new at this, personally I do leave instant coffee and I also provide milk. I actually check to see if they need oat milk etc as you never know regarding allergies.

I also leave, bread, local honey, butter and fruit - just to get them started !

Jacqueline 

Muslim4
Level 6
Almaty, Kazakhstan

You are already providing a lot. 👍 I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, the more the better, but if it takes too much time/money (can be over your listing budget) - I don't think it'll be reasonable.