What temperature do you have in the apartment in winter?

Answered!
Reto81
Level 2
Matten bei Interlaken, Switzerland

What temperature do you have in the apartment in winter?

I have radiators in my vacation apartment and also a split air conditioning system for heating and cooling. In winter, I set the radiators to 22-23C. This temperature is maintained without any further heating.

When the guests arrive, I always mention that they can switch on the split AC if necessary and heat it up. The guests usually set the split AC to 30C first and then complain that the radiators are/get cold.

-What temperature do you have in the apartment in winter?
-What do you do if the guests think it is too cold in the apartment?

It's usually so hot in the morning that guests open the windows when they leave the apartment for the day and leave them like that during the day. Of course, the air conditioning continues to work all day.

[Tittle edited by OCM for relevancy]

1 Best Answer
Reto81
Level 2

In Winter i will not mention the additional AC-Heating and set the radiator to 22.5C. If someone needs more temperature, im happy to switch the AC-Heating on, according to their need. Ive tested it this way a few times and it worked well

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

22C is sufficient for 95% of guests in the winter.

For that 5%, we provide space heaters they can use to heat up their room to whatever they want. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Reto81 

By law we are required to maintain at least 21°c, but generally, most guests are happy with 22°c. 

We do not give the guests any control over it, because yes, some will turn it up to 30°c, then leave... Then when they return, it's too hot. But rather than turn down the heat, they'll open doors and windows, meanwhile, I'm paying to heat the outdoors.

If they want it warmer or cooler, they just need to send me a WhatsApp and I will adjust on my phone. 

We did recently have a guest who complained to Airbnb that it was too cold. We ended up having to keep it at 28°c to avoid a refund demand. That was expensive. Particularly cheeky since that guest had booked for 2 persons and showed up with 6, then complained to Airbnb that we were attempting to demand extra money for it.

Airbnb at least contacted us to tell us they were refunding the guest, until I asked them to review our pricing model on the listing, which has a base price for 2 persons, and incremental price for additional persons. "Oh, yes, I see". So, no refund given, but the guest was expensive to accommodate because of their heating demands. 

Otherwise, we get an occasional 23° guest, but the vast majority of guests are happy with 22°.

In Virginia we keep the house at 16.6 degrees C/ 62 degrees F.  When not occupied in the winter and bump it up to 20 degrees C/ 68 degrees F an hour before check-in time. Occupants have access to the temperature control.        In Summer it is the revers 80 degrees F unoccupied and then chill down to 72 before arrival. with the ac air, there is less humidity inside, so it feels like a fridge when you first walk in.

Occasionally, I get someone that cranks it up or down more than I like, but I can see similar spikes on the electric bill when they use the oven as well, so it is all part of the operations cost. 

I do encourage them to turn off unit or set temps, so unit does not come on; if they are going to open the doors and windows for spring or summer evening fresh air.

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

I am in Arizona so  I deal with more Air.

All my thermostats I have locks on because not everyone understands that central air equipment if damaged is not cheap and getting a licensed air conditioner technician when the temp outside  is 110 is not immediate.

I keep my  house at 70 all year. 

If someone is  uncomfortable then the expectation is they tell me because my house is larger so my air has 3 sections with 3 controls.  I can not have a large discrepancy of temp within each section as this would result in equipment damage.

I deal with the window situation as leaving a door open. In my case, I homeshare.  So they bedroom is private and they usually lock it.  I just explain I don't invade their privacy to check windows, so someone could break in and I just wouldn't know.  My security system does notify me when a window opens but if open I don't receive a notification.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Reto81 👋

Have you come up with a solution for the heating? It would be great to hear if you have! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Reto81
Level 2

In Winter i will not mention the additional AC-Heating and set the radiator to 22.5C. If someone needs more temperature, im happy to switch the AC-Heating on, according to their need. Ive tested it this way a few times and it worked well

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know what you've decided to do! Wishing you all the best! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines