Toilet paper and detergent

Melissa2433
Level 3
Henderson, NV

Toilet paper and detergent

Hello everyone,

I’m a new host. Got my first booking this week. The guest will arrive in two weeks so I want to gain as much knowledge as possible from experienced hosts. 

The particular reservation consists of a one person stay in 1 of the 2 rooms I listed on Airbnb in my house—where I live (with a shared bathroom only if both rooms are booked) I have my own private bathroom. Anyway, this  particular guest booked a 3 months stay.

In the listing I mention that I will provide a specific amount of toilet paper and detergent supply for the 30 days, and after that the guest is responsible for getting their own essentials.

my question is; Since this is a 3 month stay do you think I should provide these things every 30 days until the guest checks out or is it okay to provide a 30 day supply only? I’m unsure what to do. 

Thank you in advance for your feedback. 

Melissa

21 Replies 21
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Melissa2433 I wouldn't cheapskate this. Whenever possible go beyond what you offer and you will get rave reviews. Assuming toilet paper is cheap its a small price to pay. Also have you thought through what happens when the other room is booked and the bathroom is shared? Not sure you can really separate the toilet paper in this situation.

Haha I didn’t mean to sound cheap. I’ve heard some guests abuse these perks so I wanted to hear how different hosts handle this situation. Great insight, I appreciate it. Thanks! 

Hi Melissa, 

Every host has a different location, size of property rent out either shared rooms or full homes/units, nightly rate varies by area and demand, and amenities in the area and with the home. My thoughts on this, is going to depend on the monthly rate you charge your guest, and what's Included in that rate. 

I have had over 500 stay in the past 6 years between a couple platforms guest can book through. Let me tell you, I lived and learned the demographic of that travels to my area, whats bringing them to my area and figured out when peak and slow season was based on my bookings . I have had to adjust my rates and what I include in that rate that I  provide to guests. 

It's also important to provide clear expectations for short term and longer term renters in your listing and in your home, on house rules,  things to do in the area, and what you will include with the rate. 

This will determine if it makes financial sense to include toilet paper,  laundry detergent, shampoo etc. Trash bags are inexpensive and I feel it's a must for anywhere you have a trash can inside the home as it keeps it more sanitary.  I would definitely keep a box or roll of trash bags under the sink in that bathroom. In common areas of a shared home,  it makes sense to keep the kitchen stocked with paper towels, dish soap, and trash bags. 

Something to consider that has helped me a ton. Is creating a cute way for guests to visibly see house rules, any type of instructions you feel is important for them to know around the home (you can laminate or put printed instructions inside different side picture frames, that can be hung on a wall or placed on a counters or table around the home. What worked for me was  printing instructions for what I provide in the kitchen, such as coffee, and creamer (if you off that), disclose kitchen rules, such as what you expect your guest to do with the pots, pans, plates, items after they cook. Do you want them to Wash certain items by hand or can they just put straight in the dishwasher and do you expect them to put their dishes away once they are clean or will you do that part ? Having a shared home where you rent a room and share common areas. Think about what you would expect out of a roommate, and your rules/expectations  will starting coming to mind.  

Also important to consider having in your listing as well somewhere in your home, in the are answers to the below questions.. 

Can your guest bring other guests? . If so, how many guests can come visit your guest for the day?

Do you allow guests not on the reservation to stay overnight ?  

Do you allow smokers? if Yes,  but only outside- then where can they go-  the front or the backyard?

Make sure to have clear rules on pets, if you allow or don't allow and what you expect. 

Do you allow your guests to use the common area such as the livingroom anytime of the day/night they choose, can they have other over to hang out in the common space ? If so, do  you have quiet hours ? 

where do you allow your guests to park? Garage, driveway and/or steeet? 

It's all about clear communication and written instructions printed out (I laminated all mine) and used double sided Velcro traps to take signs by my coffee maker, one with wifi code, trash days, and check out instructions located on the back of the front door.  Office Depot)  

This was incredibly helpful. Really appreciative of you for taking the time to share these ideas. I’m sure I’ll be coming back to this comment to refresh my memory on how to do certain things. Thank you.

Hi Melissa, We don’t offer long stays, however when I have put extra toiletries in the cottage one of two things have and or can happen. Either the guest will give you a great review, for instance they might say the cottage had everything we needed and then some. OR they might take the extras home with them. That does happen! In any case I find it’s best to supply more then needed. Having open communication also helps, saying to your guests let me know if you need anything else makes them feel welcome! I hope that is helpful. 

Nash-Cottages-LLC0
Level 10
Nashville, TN

@Melissa2433 Welcome to hosting! My first thought when I read your post was "wow, she's brave for being a new host and accepting a 3-month stay as her first guest." While I'm happy for you, I also am a little concerned for you too. Do a bit of research on this platform, but more importantly, in Nevada and your local jurisdiction regarding squatters. I'm sure you will be okay, but being well-informed beforehand can alleviate any potential uncertainties down the road.

Now, with that addressed, here are some suggestions:

I recommend discreetly checking (not spying on) their bathroom at least every two weeks and ensuring additional supplies are available as needed. For instance, rather than providing a bulk amount of toilet paper upfront, consider adding a roll or two if it's running low. This consistent maintenance approach not only keeps the shared bathroom well-stocked but also allows you to proactively address any emerging issues, like water leaks or other maintenance concerns. I inadvertently read your description as you would hand them a package of TP almost as a welcome gift : ) 

While unsolicited, I suggest having a printout of your house rules placed in their bedroom. Crafting a brief note extending a warm welcome and reminding them to reach out if they encounter any challenges during their 3-month stay can reinforce the understanding of the agreed-upon departure date. Take a picture of that note wherever you placed it. It sounds paranoid, I know but it might be useful in the long run. 

Additionally, setting a buffer period of at least 2 days after their departure, especially if you handle the cleaning yourself, ensures ample time for a thorough cleaning of the space. 

Should you need further guidance or have any questions, feel free to ask here. Over the years, I've shared some great laughs and groans with fellow hosts.

Please, after the guest checks out, come back here and give us an update of how things went and any gems of advice you would you have given yourself after the experience. 

Wishing you a successful hosting experience.

@Nash-Cottages-LLC0 she does not have to worry about squatters- this is her home. i have hosted for many years and never had a buffer so I do not see a reason for her to block dates, particularly in high season but everyone hosts differently. 

I’ve thought about the squatters (funny name lol) but like you, I’m not worried about it. I did set the schedule for a 2-day period in between booking starting/ending just to make sure I have enough time to do a deep cleaning and prepare myself mentally for the next guest. But I agree with you that it’s not necessary, especially during busy season. Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it. This is a great community. 

i agree

@Nash-Cottages-LLC0 Thank you so much for your response. Working on some of the wonderful tips you shared. I appreciate your valuable input, and the warm welcome. 

ps. Got my second reservation (instant booking) and I’m currently hosting! 

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Hi Wow 3 months. I don’t see the bathroom as being a problem as you will be keeping it clean as it’s a share situation and you will replace products as needed. Hope the guest has access to a washer and dryer and vacuum for their room. Do you supply breakfast too? 

The first booking is three months long but the person had a valid reason so I accepted. No breakfast but the other things you asked about, it’s a yes. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Melissa2433 do not worry about squatters because you live at the house.  I would just provide enough toilet paper. if this were Covid times, I could totally see rationing though. Have fun hosting!

@Melissa2433 I think I’d go and supply the toilet paper and other items that might make your guest happy.