Security cameras in my homeshare - Airbnb is compromising my personal safety

Mark71
Level 2
Norfolk, VA

Security cameras in my homeshare - Airbnb is compromising my personal safety

The issue of security cameras and Airbnb is a heated topic, no doubt.  There are points to be made on both sides. I can understand if the property being rented is a whole house rental where only the guests are there. I want to address the bigger issue of all the homeshares out there, where guests rent a private bedroom inside a host's home.  This is what I do. I have 2 guest rooms that I rent out, and have been doing this for 8 years.  Over 1000 guests from 15 different countries! STILL a 5 star review status! I go out of my way for my guests and have tons of repeats every year!  I have had security cameras in my home the entire time, with NOT ONE COMPLAINT. They are listed, in plain sight, and fully visible in the common areas of the house. They are there for my safety as well as my guests!  Let's face facts. I am inviting PERFECT STRANGERS to come and stay with me in my home. I have no idea who they are or what issues they have, if any.  For Airbnb to dictate my level of safety in my own home that I live with my dogs is preposterous. I LOVE hosting on Airbnb and have met some of the most amazing people, and YES, I have had my share of whackos, where I was glad I had my cameras to record the incidents. Luckily they are few and far between and so far has not deterred me from continuing to host. This is a real issue for me and it may just drive me from the platform, and that would be a real loss to Airbnb. Ask my guests, read my reviews, they speak for themselves. 

0 Replies 0