Invited on trip but can't message host?

Shannon40
Level 1
Hong Kong

Invited on trip but can't message host?

Hi I'm joining two friends in an apartment that another friend has booked.  I'll be arriving first and will need to get the key from the host since the other two's flight doesn't get in until after the time period for arrival.  If I check out the itinerary thats been shared to me, the page contains the host's phone number and a message icon to send her a message.  However, when I click the message icon, the page redirects to my empty dashboard.  Is it impossible for me to message the host since I didn't make the reservation even though I've be included in the trip?  It doesn't seem to make much sense, especially since they even supplied a phone number, which is useless unless you are in the same country.

14 Replies 14
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Shannon40

Airbnb hasn't implemented the function to give all guests booked access to the host. As it is only the person booking gets that.

Ask your friend to give you the host contact data (they can find it under the host profile pic on the message thread).

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Also, the phone no. is quite useful since most people nowadays use mobile phones with sms or Whatsapp function and calling from one country to another on gsm is much less expensive than it used to be.

Thanks andrea,  I'll try to whatsapp her.  Just thought it would be better to message from airbnb tho since it also verifies my identify information and that I'm a guest.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Shannon40

I don't have the experience as guest in a group and since the multiple view hasn't apparently been rolled out yet by Airbnb I don't know what you as part of a group booked by somebody else would see.

Airbnb often surprises us hosts with new functions and things all the time to keep us on our toes!

Anyway good luck!

Lauren335
Level 1
Trowbridge, United Kingdom

Hello there, I am having the same problem, although I am the one who booked it! When I get redirected it comes up with the message ‘host account is unavailable while waiting for verification orocess’. I don’t suppose you know what this means do you? Sorry AirBnb has no email to message about this. 

@Lauren335 is this host very new? (Maybe they are still going through verification?)

Or is someone in your group of guests still needing to finish the verification process?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why don't you just ask your friend who made the booking to organise it with the host?

Thats what I'll have to do since she doesn't seem to be on whatsapp.  Its just better to be in contact with her since I'm the one meeting her.

Recently I was contacted by a member of the group organized by my guest. It seemed like a normal message in my inbox, it was nowhere stated that he comes with the guest that booked, I worked that out from our conversation. He wanted to know some things and wrote for himself. So I guess it is possible. Find the host profile and message him!

Justin162
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Having the same issue here, and host has been trying to contact me but it's just going to the other guest's message inbox.

Woul be great if AirBnB allowed those messages to come into a shared inbox - just as you would with any shared group message i.e. Whatsapp Group, Slack channel etc - then everyone can also keep on top of the conversation and what has been said already and by whom.

Same here. I am an active host, and would find it very useful if I could contact guests that have been added to the booking. E.g. the girl who booked today, just messaged me to say she got ill, and is not coming. But her other four friends, yes, are still coming. She thus said that a second person in the booking will be the point of contact. I can see his picture and profile, but I cannot message him. I have a smart lock system (self check-in), so I need all communication to be secure and verified via the AirBnB chat. Whatsapp or SMS is NOT an option in this scenario. Would hereby like to raise a feature request to the AirBnB technical team:

Please activate chat between host and all members in the booking. Tnx

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Lance30

The guest already has the choice when booking to use the option to add all party names and e-mail addresses, unfortunately they don't use it.

@Jeff158, the guest who booked (A) did everything right. She invited his friend (B) to join AirBnB, this friend (B) created his own account with a verified email and phone number. Then A added B to the booking.

I can see B now in the booking. But I cannot message him with AirBnB nor see his email address or phone number.

Lorenzo487
Level 1
Milan, IT

I also would like to be able to share, as the main guest, the conversation with other guests. This for a very simple reason: otherwise I have to report/cut and past to them all the important parts of the conversation with the host.

And other guests have to ask me on whatsapp to ask something to the host and I have to remember to forward both ways the whole thing.

Also there is no "backup" for this information in case my phone battery is dead or lost and these can be important in case you are looking for the house or have a problem with the checkout with a flight to take.