Discrimination?

Joseph123
Level 2
Florence, KY

Discrimination?

Hey everyone.   I am a lawyer and singer from the Cincinnati area. I was recently featured on NPR Music and was invited to perform at a sold out private show on March 30th. I've heard positive and negative reviews about Airbnb but decided to give it a try and booked a room in Chicago's West Town.   The room is just a few blocks from the venue and was exactly what I was looking for.  The host waited until about 20 hours after the booking and contacted me stating,  "I can only book that unit to guests with past positive reviews. We've recently had some bad experiences with that unit and the owner is super spooked!"  

I thought that this was a bit strange as Airbnb seems to encourage new accounts and diversity.  As a black man, I have read stories about various complaints but wasn't sure what to think.  This put me in a very unfortunate predicament as the other few places near the location that I could've booked are no longer available.  How can I book a room to get feedback if places will not book me without any?  Any recommendations on how to handle this situation?

Thanks,

Joseph 

[Personal information hidden]

18 Replies 18
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Joseph123

Hi there...lots of hosts are wary of new users without any reviews and won't allow them to stay. That's not unusual.

In fact, AirBnB, even for Instant Booking, allows hosts to say what types of guests can use the feature: eg verified and/or with positive reviews from other hosts. Just as there are guests who will not book with hosts who do not have positive reviews from other guests.

Also - your profile is pretty much non existent and that will also worry some hosts who look for guests with more complete information about themselves. For example your have tried to include a web address, which is blocked by AirBnB, which some hosts will also mistrust as they may think they are being linked to some form of advertising site, etc..

I would just book somewhere else to book - complete your profile more fully - and get rid of the website adresses. Even to me (and we take guests who are brand new to AirBnB - about 50% of our visitors are newbies) that looks a bit weird on this site.

Good luck...I am sure you will find a suitable place.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it!

Makes sense, I appreciate the feedback!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sounds quite plausible, a lot of Hosts get burned and then impliment some basic risk management, especially when they are not on site.

David

Thanks David!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry but I dont necessarily agree with @David126 and @Gerry-And-Rashid0 on this ocassion.

If the host or property manager (as it seems) waited until AFTER you had booked to tell you this, then it is a problem for them. They should honour the booking.

If you had a confirmed booking they will need to cancel and will have penalties imposed on them and Airbnb will give you a voucher towards alternative accommodation

However if you just made an inquiry then they maybe right.

Do update your profile and mention your interests, profession and why you want to use Airbnb. This help hosts see you as more trustworthy.

About 60% of my guests are new but I only accept those with verified ID, full photo, a description and who tell me about their plans and why they chose my place. Try this approach and hopefully you will get a booking.

It might help you to be 'chatty'  in your profile and your request to stay.  It builds trust with the host.  Say what kind of recording artist, say what typ of law you practice, where you went to law school, what you do in your free time, where you were born and raised, things like that.  In your request or inquiry say why you are traveling to the area, what you plan to do while there etc.

I recently got a request from a young woman with no information on her profile, no verifications beyond phone and email, a sultry pose (she later changed that to her face in dark glasses) and the request said 'interested in rental.'  All red flags for this host.

Imagine that your mother or grandmother was doing Airbnb in her home or a studio on her property.  How would a guest present themselves so that you would feel comfortable with that person visiting your mother?  Be that guest.

Airbnb is a wonderful thing but it is very personalized and not like a hotel where you just pay to stay.

Hope that helps

Kerrin

Thanks a lot Karen, updated the info!

Thanks so much for the info Helen, this is very useful!

@Joseph123You did a great job with photos and profile.  I would feel very comfortable hosting you.  So if you ever find yourself in Santa Cruz CA please come stay with us.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Great profile Joseph . I'd host you too @Joseph123 if you ever come to England 🙂 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Joseph123

Hey Joseph, your profile looks good now. Nice touch with your cute kids, and the text backs it up.

That's actually my niece and nephew but thank you! 🙂

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Joseph123 I am a host: Kelly, Real Texas Barn, www.airbnb.com/rooms/15208027, so I can say that I think you got some very good advice from these other hosts about ways to make your profile more user friendly & more readily accepted by hosts.

But, I will also say that I just this week made my first reservation as a guest and based on that one experience I'd say it's not the easiest process. Def more involved than just calling up some hotel and booking a room. So, even with a great profile, making an ABB res, I think, will always be more labor intensive than a regular hotel.

But for that hassle, you may receive better value or a more interesting place, and maybe even a local to help you out with navigating a new city. ABB is a cost/benefit proposition in that you may have to work harder to find a place but you may enjoy more than just another night at a generic hotel.

I certainly have a greater appreciation for why ABB is pushing IB and for what my guests have to go thru to find me and inquire and/or book.

Best wishes for the show!