What if the guest doesn't return the key to the lockbox?

Donna1583
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

What if the guest doesn't return the key to the lockbox?

My husband and I are just getting started with renting. We have two units in a motel-turned-condo at the shore. We also just obtained two igloohome lockboxes that can have their PIN codes changed remotely.

What do we do if a guest forgets to replace the key in the lockbox when they are checking out? How will we know? We live 80 miles from the condo location, and it would be a real challenge to straighten out the problem if a new guest arrived, only to find that their predecessor had forgotten to put the key back. Though I suppose that we'd find out sooner than that, if the changeover service arrived and discovered the lockbox was empty. Either way, I would like there to be some real incentive for guests to remember to put the key back where it belongs.

Does anyone charge a key deposit? If you do, where can I create that?

2 Replies 2
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Donna1583 👋

What a great question! It's been a while since you posted and I wondered if you had decided to do anything in this instance? 

It'd be great to hear from you, so we can understand what the resolution was for you but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Ewan83
Level 2
Bullengarook, Australia

@Donna1583 I have installed an igloohome electronic lock that has no keys. There is a software set up between the lock and Airbnb and the guest automatically gets an email in the Airbnb chat with locking code that works between the booking hours for checking and check out only. This is the perfect solution as there are no more to worry about ever.