What if a guest wants to check out at 5 a.m?

Answered!
Kostas0
Level 2
Attica, Greece

What if a guest wants to check out at 5 a.m?

I have instant booking ON and my checkout time is set to 12:00 pm (before).

If someone wants to checkout very early in the morning, I am unable to go and receive keys at 5:00 am (example).

The term "check out before 12:00 pm" means that a guest can checkout anytime before 12:00 pm?

If yes that makes a problem i guess. 

1 Best Answer
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Kostas0,

Yes the check out time means that the guest must vacate the listing by the time you set which is 12-noon. If the guest wishes to check out at 5 am, they are allowed to do this.  When we leave a hotel, we just leave the keycards in the room and leave.  Can your guest not just leave the key in your listing and lock the door behind them?  If not, you might want to get a new lock system such as one with a keypad.  We have this one for our front door and this lock for the door leading to their suite.

Happy hosting!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Maybe the guest could drop the key in a letterbox or something ?

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Kostas0,

Yes the check out time means that the guest must vacate the listing by the time you set which is 12-noon. If the guest wishes to check out at 5 am, they are allowed to do this.  When we leave a hotel, we just leave the keycards in the room and leave.  Can your guest not just leave the key in your listing and lock the door behind them?  If not, you might want to get a new lock system such as one with a keypad.  We have this one for our front door and this lock for the door leading to their suite.

Happy hosting!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thank you Marit and Dave! I didnt thought the option of not being there to receive keys , felt little insecure about this, but i guess that is because i am a new host.

No problem @Kostas0,

We are here to help.  If you had to ask the question, I am sure there are other hosts who have the same question.

Cheers

Dave

David

@Kostas0

I do that all the time with my guests - they just drop the key in the letterbox.  So far, so good. When you meet the guests, just be very clear with your info and maybe leave a house manual with your house rules, user manuals etc.  

If your appliances are in Greek, make sure to do translations and clear instructions in English.

I'd have a problem with this too. I dont like to be bothered before noon.

I'd have a problem with this too. I dont like to be bothered before noon.Puppy love from inventing Joy & FUrry Folk

You can buy a lock box from a hardware store, screws to the wall outside near the front door and has a code - like a bike chain.  They put the key in there and lock it up.  You go there when you want to pick it up.  Change the code as many times as you want - for each guest if you like. 

I use an electronic lock ($75-$100 at Lowes or Home Depot) and give my guests a lock code rather than a key, which I can easily change when each reservation ends. That way, they can check in or out when I am not able to be there, if that is comfortable for both parties.

Phyllis21
Level 2
Rhode Island, United States

Can't they just leave the key on the table? Or do you need to use the key to lock the door from the outside?