Roku TV

Susan3941
Level 2
New York, NY

Roku TV

We have Roku TVs in a several rooms.

I understand that Roku has a Guest mode, but my understanding is that that requires the guests to have a Roku account.

Isn't requiring the guest to have a Roku account something that will be met with lots of resistance/complaints?

The alternative is to use my log in and hope no one changes anything or charges anything or logs out (requiring me to physically come and log back in).

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

5 Replies 5
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Susan3941,

I use Roku Guest Mode at my rental.  Guests do not need a Roku account to access their streaming channels.  Here's an excerpt from the Roku blog post announcing Guest Mode:

"When you enable Guest Mode on your Roku streaming device, your guests can sign in to subscription channels using their own account credentials instead of using yours. Your guests’ credentials will also be automatically removed from the device on the date they specify.

With Guest Mode, your guests won’t have access to your personal streaming channel accounts or be able use your Roku account to make purchases. Instead, your guests can safely access their own subscription channels and not have to worry about remembering to sign out before they leave." 

@Debra300 

I think I have a better understanding now -- thank you!

Does this mean that if the guests don't have any subscriptions (netflix, amazon, etc.), then they can't watch anything?

There is no antenna or cable to the TV -- only the wifi Internet connection.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Susan3941,

Yes, guests need access to their own/friend's/family member's streaming account.  This is what I have written in my listing:

Entertainment:
- A large TV in the living room and a smaller TV in the bedroom, both have an antenna for local channels, and a Roku streaming device which can be used with your Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or cable streaming service (there is no cable service in the apartment).

One antenna is external, it's about the same size as the satellite TV dish that it replaced, and the other antenna is the old-fashioned rabbit ear type that sits right next to the TV.  They both do pretty well at getting the local OTA channels.  None of my guests have voiced any complaints about video choices.  Looking at your reviews, TV and streaming does not seem to be a concern for your guests, either. 

I do recommend that you address the comments in the review from the guest who said that the internet service was spotty, and stated a concern about privacy, because there were no curtains on the street-facing sliding doors.  You may want to you look into investing in a whole home mesh system which provides better wife coverage than the typical wifi modem.  During this time of year, there are some pretty good deals available.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Susan3941 

We provide a Roku device for the living room TV.  As Netflix is popular, I have rolled the Netflix monthly fee into my cost of doing business.  The rental property has it's own Netflix account and I prepay.  It is not authorized for any purchases.  No one has complained about only having Netflix.  I have not tried Guest Mode on the Roku.  With the Roku, the guest can enter their own Hulu, Amazon or whatever streaming service credentials.   I do advise them via message and email prior to their arrival to have their codes with them.  I also provide an HDMI cable (well labeled as property of and connected to the TV) which has not walked off yet so they can hook their own Roku, streaming device or laptop to the TV.  Most of the millennial guests I have had travel with their own streaming device and just want assurance that I have decent WiFi.    

This feature has been a point of contention for many users especially those of use using it to host short term rentals. The forum linked below despite it marked as a solution is sadly NOT a solution, just a reference.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/How-to-save-preferred-default-Guest-Mode-set...

I'm extremely leery of recommending the use or Roku TV's since they decided to change the arbitration agreement on a TV I bought 8 years ago. This TV is used primary as a DVD player in my motorhome. The TV was left completely useless until I agreed to these new terms. Just leaves me feeling violated . I do encourage folks to dispute this business practices otherwise we'll be renting hammers by the swing. I digress, the focus of this post is to see if as a community of Airbnb could we have enough weight to encourage Roku to either update how the 'Guest Mode' feature functions or even offer a specialized TV for purchase specifically for the purpose of short term rentals?

Many of us pay for Cable/streaming services specially for our rentals, separate from our personal use. I personally have just set my newer Roku TVs to Guest mode and have left it alone with no complaints from my guest. After a couple years I went searching for ways to further customize the TVs to better accommodate my guests. Disappointing as it is. I find it worth bring to the attention of our fellow hosts. Anyone know someone at Roku (or Ark Investment Management LLC, Vanguard Group Inc, and FMR LLC.) ?