Retaliatory review - should I have to cover costs caused by guest to avoid this?

Answered!

Retaliatory review - should I have to cover costs caused by guest to avoid this?

We are new to Airbnb hosting and use a management company. On the first day of her stay, our first guest lost the keys to our apartment including the fob to the apartment complex. As the keys were labelled, this jeopardised the security of the property, necessitating the replacement of the lock. The property manager had advised the guest that she would be charged for this expense if the keys could not be found, consistent with the terms and conditions agreed to at the time of booking. The guest reportedly indicated that she was fine with this and also that she was happy with the accommodation (which is brand new). I didn’t question the property manager when she advised me that the guest would be charged for the replacement lock/keys (several hundred dollars). I paid for the replacement fobs myself (costing a couple of hundred dollars).

Almost two weeks later, the guest left a retaliatory and defamatory review (without any explanation of the circumstances) stating that “I would not use this service or stay in this property. The owners will try to get as much money from you as they can after you check out … do yourself a favour and book elsewhere”. Reading that review, potential guests would assume that the charge issued was baseless and unscrupulous.
Since the review was published, we have not received any further bookings while equivalent properties in the same building (managed by the same company) continue to be booked and to receive glowing reviews. While our guest’s review seems to me to be clearly retaliatory, misleading and designed to inflict economic harm, Airbnb refuse to take it down and insist that it does not violate their policy. Am I very naive to be surprised by this? It seems unfair that hosts should effectively have to choose between wearing the cost of irresponsible behaviour by guests, or else risking damaging reviews in the knowledge that Airbnb will refuse to remove them.

1 Best Answer
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Katrina344 

Best advise open another account and start again,

Sometimes it's a nightmare's with keys and the key fobs some guest are just plain idiots,

I had to start charging a deposit also we live on an island and it's not easy to get keys cut, almost 15km to the nearest place plus my time.

I only have one apartment on Airbnb at the moment and it has a keycard entry system you would not believe how many guest forget them, go out,

I had a guest not long ago lose one so he says, we had to have all the cards and the lock reprogrammed, We dont have to buy a new lock, 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello Katrina344, 

I do hope you charged her for the key fob replacement. When she writes a negative review, you get to reply to that review.
 If you explain that she lost the key fob and not only did you help take care of that situation, by getting her a new key Fab, you initially paid for it to make her trip seamless. Not to mention, she had agreed to pay for the key fob. I think as long as you write your side of the story, most people would understand that you did not do anything wrong.

Good luck! 

I'm afraid I had a similar outcome. Seems like one is on  ones own and just have to suck it up! 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Start over?

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Katrina344 

Best advise open another account and start again,

Sometimes it's a nightmare's with keys and the key fobs some guest are just plain idiots,

I had to start charging a deposit also we live on an island and it's not easy to get keys cut, almost 15km to the nearest place plus my time.

I only have one apartment on Airbnb at the moment and it has a keycard entry system you would not believe how many guest forget them, go out,

I had a guest not long ago lose one so he says, we had to have all the cards and the lock reprogrammed, We dont have to buy a new lock, 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Katrina344   How did you respond to the review?  Your listing is not attached to your profile, so we (hosts on this forum) cannot see what was said.  

If you responded with facts, i.e., "The guest lost the keys to the apartment and to the apartment complex necessitating replacements and rekeying of all entrances" then a prospective guest would know that the review was retaliatory and that the guest was at fault.

You could consider adding a fee to your listing that you will refund if the guest returns all keys at the end of their visit.  I have stayed at resorts that charged me a fee for keys or parking passes and refunded upon my departure.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why is your listing not on your profile @Katrina344 

I hope you didn't sign up with a management company who make you put your listing under their profile without giving you access?.

Hopefully your management company left an honest review so her response is in context.

Your management  company should be advising you about this - that's part of what you pay them for. 

go through Airbnbs  review criteria and appeal against their decision indicating clearly how it breaks their T&Cs 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Katrina344 

It happened again today FFS whats wrong with people? Guest who checked out today lost a keycard, reprogram all again.

Along with 2 pools towels