Picky and demanding guest

Dale16
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Picky and demanding guest

I have just been woken up tonight at 12.30am by my guest who has already been very demanding, I could spot it from the booking process. You know what I mean!

She was asking if there's a mattress topper or something missing from the bed? She couldn't possibly sleep on it. Luckily I have a very comfortable sofabed in my living room which I offered her for the night.  

She was asking so many things.  Don't you have any shelves or anything? Do you have a higher table? (The room has a desk!🤦‍♂️) Do  you have more coat hangers? Do you have a face cloth?   Of course I was happy enough but it's the first night and she's here for two weeks...

The room rate is £17 a night... Cheaper than a hostel, the bed is comfortable enough. The room is very cosy, quiet and in a good location?

What should I do in the morning to resolve? 

I could cancel the reservation, but I don't want to lose my superhost status.

22 Replies 22
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dale16  Got a little princess there, do you? Two questions:

1. If you could tell she was going to be the demanding type when she booked, why did you accept the booking?

2. Why are you charging less than a shared hostel room would cost for a lovely private room in your home? I looked at your listing. It's way too nice for what you're charging. I also have a private room, budget priced listing, but not THAT budget.

As far as this guest goes, I'd sit her down and explain that she doesn't get to demand all sorts of things that weren't offered in the first place and that she can't expect all her personal needs to be met if she chooses a budget-priced listing. If she gives you attitude, or continues with the behavior, tell her to please cancel the rest of the booking, (or you can do a date change) she'll be refunded for the unused days, and she can go see what else she can find that's any better for the same price. "Seeing as how you're obviously not happy here,  I suggest you look for something else that suits your requirements." (translation: Bugger off, Princess.)

Dale16
Level 2

@Sarah977 The perils of instant book!  I find my occupancy rate is higher when the rate is lower, so I get more money.  Also there isn't much tourism here right now, so everyone is reducing their rates.

I'm thinking of suggesting putting the mattress from the sofabed on top of the bed in the room? It's a bit of a cheap work a round, as I prefer to have things done properly...

I haven't had a single complaint regarding the bed. My mum regularly comes to stay and finds it perfectly comfortable. 

@Dale16  I read through some of your reviews, guests obviously love your place and no mattress complaints. I guess if you're willing to try to accommodate her, you could move that mattress, (or even if you have a spare comforter or quilt you could put under the sheet, that might do the trick), but I'd still sit down with her and clue her in to what she can and can't expect from an Airbnb lest she take your willingness to address the bed issue as license to come up with more things that aren't quite right for her for the next 2 weeks.

I've never used IB- I want to be able to decide who stays with me in my home. I prefer quality over quantity. And if your occupancy rate is lower if you charge a bit more, does it really matter? $25/night for 6 nights works out to the same as $15/night for 10 nights. Same $ in your pocket, so the fact that it might be empty for the other 4 nights is irrelevant.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Dale16   It’s always better to charge a higher rate and get fewer booking than more bookings at a much cheaper rate.

I charge almost double what you do and I’m in Bristol - not a capital city.

Explain to the guests that your listing and amenities are as described so it’s not reasonable for her to ask for additional amenities that weren’t offered when she booked.

Also confirm that it’s not acceptable for her to contact you in the early hours of the morning for non urgent matters.

if you don’t say you offer a mattress topper them you don’t need to offer one and certainly I wouldn’t have offered her the sofa bed to sleep on in your shared space.

I agree say that if she isn’t happy with the listing because she wants amenities which weren’t displayed in your listing she can ask Airbnb to cancel and find somewhere with the amenities she’s looking for.

so no to shelves, no to a higher table, extra hangers perhaps (don’t know how many you provide) , if you have a spare face-cloth let her have one.

Dale16
Level 2

@Helen3  thanks for that. I've set the rate higher, I think if people are giving me money I don't mind getting stressed. But for £17 a night, no.

We had a lovely conversation this morning. But I can still sense there is going to be a hostile review at the end of this.  

She now wants the heating to not be on during the night as it's too loud? Wtf.  I can understand the boiler is in a cupboard in the room, but it's not loud enough to keep you up. It's my old bedroom!

Another complaint and I'm going to suggest she finds a hotel room. I did make the mistake of telling her about my career as a concierge. 🤦 maybe it's a test!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hopefully you’ve already confirmed conversations in writing re requests for amenities not in the listing as confirmed that you won’t be providing them. @Dale16 

I have to say I can’t sleep in a room that has a boiler if it’s on during the night. Can you not turn the heating off during day 11pm -7 am or similar. 

But if other guests haven’t mentioned it as a concern perhaps you have a super quiet one? 

Dale16
Level 2

Yes, we've agreed the timer for the heating! Never thought I'd have to reprogramme my boiler for a guest, but there we are!  So after 10pm heating is off until 9am... 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Dale16  I would absolutely NOT let her move around the mattresses!!!  Once you allow that there is no end to the stuff she will ask for.  I would very gently tell her that you're disappointed she seems so unhappy with the accommodation...hangars, height of table, mattress, noise, and you will totally understand if she wishes to cancel, because you want her to be happy and since you're hosting in your own home, YOU want to be happy.  If that doesn't get a lightbulb over her head, then you will have to steel yourself for a tough two weeks and mediocre review at best.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Dale16 "it appears you would be happier elsewhere...."

and rather than thinking about how she'll review you, perhaps think about how you'll review her

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Dale16 When I begin to fear I may be hosting a guest with unrealistic expectations (better suited to a hotel), I engineer a casual conversation to educate them re expectations in a budget home share. (I charge £20/21 for a single, £30/31 for a couple). "Did you know Airbnb started with 3 airbeds in someone's living room? - But these days you get a proper bed!!" -  "It's a bit like hosteling in someone's home." - "When my nasty neighbour complained to the council that I was running an illegal bnb, a man from the Council ambled round & said ' Who cares? It's only Airbnb! That's just like having lodgers really!'" - Then I reckon I can see the cogs whirring, as the penny drops!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Some guests like a soft bed, others a firm one. This is a common complaint. I have guests telling me it's the best bed they've ever slept on, and the odd one tell me they couldn't sleep at all. Bed is firm. So I specify, in listing it says bed is firm, second bed is medium firm. For the future, write it in the listing to help guests pick the right listing for them.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Dale16 

Usually with fastidious guests, it goes two ways.

All the drama about extra requirements usually get resolved on day 1 and 2 then settles down and fades away.

Otherwise, if it  does continue, it's an idea to introduce an amendment to mutual shorten the length of the trip - no need to consider cancelling.

Looks like it's 22 GBP per night currently in a Royal Mile Travelodge, so your pricing isn't so low considering the time of year and the current restrictions.

Don't start worrying about imaginary hostile reviews. It's not good to give yourself problems that don't exist.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How did it go with the guest @Dale16  - did you ask her to leave.

Dale16
Level 2

@Helen3   All good now! She is actually nice. I think it's just an American thing to be demanding?